Djokovic books Adelaide quarter-finals spot

By Daily Sports Nigeria on January 6, 2023

Novak Djokovic overcame a shaky start to beat Frenchman Quentin Halys on Thursday and reach the Adelaide International quarter-finals, stepping up his preparations for the Australian Open.

The top seed from Serbia won 7-6 (7/3), 7-6 (7/5) and will face Canada’s Denis Shapovalov in the last eight.

Djokovic returned to the scene of his 2007 title run on Tuesday with a comfortable straight-sets win over France’s Constant Lestienne.

He backed that up against Lestienne’s doubles partner Halys but was slow to get going, slumping 2-5 in the first set before clinching victory.

“It was a great performance from my opponent today,” said the 35-year-old Djokovic, who is warming up for a tilt at a 10th Australian Open title after missing last year’s Grand Slam when he was deported over his vaccination status.

“He played like a top-10 player today.

“It was difficult to break his serve because he was hitting his spots and he was being very precise, and big serves, as well,” he added.

“Proud to be able to overcome a challenge like this. Winning two tiebreakers is always great I think for confidence level at the beginning of the year.”

With the crowd firmly behind the former world number one on a packed centre court, Djokovic — who won Wimbledon among five titles last year — lost his opening service game against the 64th-ranked Frenchman.

He earned two break points in game three but was unable to convert, biding his time until the seventh game, when he broke to love and then raced through the tiebreak.

Nothing separated them in the second set, which again went to a tiebreak, after Halys saved two match points at 5-4, with Djokovic finally prevailing when Halys netted a backhand.

Djokovic’s reward is a clash with world number 18 Shapovalov, who sailed into the last eight with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Russian qualifier Roman Safiullin.

Djokovic has won all seven previous encounters with the Canadian.

Shapovalov is still riding the wave of leading Canada to the Davis Cup title and said he was determined to maintain his good form.

“Definitely trying to implement that on the individual side. Obviously so far it’s been a great start. Hopefully, I can capitalise on a good start to the week and definitely excited for what’s to come,” he said.

American Sebastian Korda progressed by beating Spain’s Roberto Bautista Agut 6-4, 6-4 to set up a clash with either Adelaide defending champion Thanasi Kokkinakis or Jannik Sinner.

– Azarenka triumphs –

In the women’s draw Czech teen Linda Noskova defeated American Claire Liu 6-2, 6-2 to power into the last eight, where she will play two-time Australian Open winner Victoria Azarenka.

“She’s a great talent. I feel like she’s going to be a really, really good player,” Azarenka said of rising Chinese player Zheng Qinwen after using her experience to beat her 6-2, 7-5.

“But I thought that I stuck to my game plan pretty well today.”

Former French Open winner Jelena Ostapenko crashed out 6-3, 6-0 to Romania’s Irina-Camelia Begu, who will face Russian world number nine Veronika Kudermetova next.

Source Punch Ng

Posted January 6, 2023


 

You may also like...
Van Dijk Fears Liverpool Will Win Title In...

Six Positive Coronavirus Tests In Premier League

Mikel ‘Thought Father Would Be Shot’ During World...

Ancelotti To Employ ‘Messi’ Tactics Against ‘Unbeatable’ Man...

Manchester United squad the costliest of all-time –...

Nigeria’s failure to be in Gabon most unfortunate...

 

Latest News Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal I’m going to school Paul – Joshua EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing 'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,609 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,186 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,923 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,509 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,634 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media