Stepanova challenges ban from Olympics

By Daily Sports on July 25, 2016

Doping whistleblower Yuliya Stepanova has questioned the "unfair" decision by the International Olympic Committee to ban her from the Rio Olympics.

The 800m runner's testimony helped shed light on the scale of doping in Russian sport, and she was to compete under a neutral flag in Rio next month.

But the IOC ruled that she should not be allowed to take part as she had previously failed a doping test.
Stepanova said the IOC decision was "based on wrong and untrue statements".

In a statement, Stepanova, 30, claimed the IOC decision would also put off future whistleblowers from coming forward and that it contradicted previous decisions by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The IOC on Sunday decided against enforcing a blanket ban from Rio 2016 for all Russian sportspeople. Anti-doping bodies had called for tough action following the release of the McLaren report last week, which detailed widespread, state-sponsored doping in the country.

Instead, the IOC said it would be up to individual sports federations to decide which athletes were eligible for Rio - but that anyone who had been sanctioned for doping should not be able to go to Rio.
It also said Stepanova should not be allowed to compete, despite her having earlier won the support of athletics' governing body, the IAAF.

Stepanova and husband Vitaly, a former Russian Anti-Doping Agency (Rusada) official, played a key role in the chain of events that led to the IOC having to rule on Russian sport's place at the Rio Games.

The pair gave evidence to a German documentary maker in 2014 that led to an independent report being commissioned by the World Anti-Doping Agency, which uncovered the scale of doping by athletes in the country.

That in turn led to the McLaren report - also commissioned by Wada - which further highlighted Russia's extensive doping.
Stepanova was sanctioned for doping in 2013 and has always claimed she was trapped in a Russian system and had no choice but to comply. The IOC said it took this into account when deciding to ban her from Rio.

She competed at the European Championships earlier this month, where she was described as a "symbol" for clean competitors.

"Yuliya asked to compete in Rio not to receive an extraordinary benefit, but to simply restore her to the position she would have been in had she never exposed Russia's systemic doping program," her statement added.

•Text from bbc.com.

Source Daily Sports

Posted July 25, 2016


 

You may also like...
Bayern Rest Lewandowski And Neuer For Trip To...

World Cup 48-team format: Oduah, Okumagba, Kpakor thumb...

Applause for NPFL Governance Model from FIFA Official,...

Morocco Bounce Back With Easy Victory Over Burundi...

Brother Of Tottenham’s Serge Aurier Shot Dead In...

Sokebolou, Yokiri For Final Of Godspenal International Football...

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,314 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,482 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,470 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,069 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,051 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,050 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,867 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,415 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,524 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,129 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,565 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,987 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media