By Daily Sports on January 11, 2020
Barcelona are sounding out club legend Xavi Hernandez as a possible replacement for Ernesto Valverde, with Valverde expected to move on in the summer, sources have told ESPN.
Sporting director Eric Abidal and CEO Oscar Grau met with the former Barca midfielder on Friday in Qatar, where he is coaching Al Sadd.
Abidal and Grau travelled to Qatar from Saudi Arabia, where they saw Barca knocked out of the Spanish Supercopa to Atletico Madrid on Thursday.
The purpose of their visit was officially to check in on Ousmane Dembele, who is undergoing rehab in Doha, but they took advantage of their trip to chat with Xavi as Valverde's position comes under increased threat.
Sources close to the club insist the timing, one day after the loss to Atletico, was a coincidence, but revealed Xavi is a “serious option” to take over at Camp Nou in the future.
Xavi, 39, has long been touted as a potential Barca coach and is one of a few options they are considering as they begin to think beyond Valverde.
Ronald Koeman is another candidate. It was leaked last year that his contract with the Netherlands includes a clause that would allow him to join Barca after this summer's European Championship if the Catalan club come calling.
Valverde’s job is not in immediate danger despite the loss to Atletico in Jeddah.
President Josep Maria Bartomeu still supports him and the players are also behind him. Both Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez backed him publicly on Thursday. (ESPN)
•PHOTO: Xavi Hernandez
Source Daily Sports
Posted January 11, 2020
You may also like...
Guardiola rules out return to Barcelona
Gattuso: Red-hot Osimhen Shouldn’t Be Satisfied
Rivers United Commiserates With State FA Over Kile’s...
Rohr says Nigeria will call-up best strikers for...
Zone 3 CAVB Nations Cup: Nigeria Scales Past...
Villarreal Boss Emery Predicts Chukwueze’s Future Amid Reported...

Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move
Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60
Ikogosi Road Race returns Oct 31
WAFCON: Ajibade insists Falcons gave everything
Dolphins begin WBPL title defence with 59-46 win
Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward
Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins
Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset
Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup
Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback
Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,032 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,389 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,280 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,880 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,757 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,634 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,530 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,040 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,250 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,718 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,206 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)