Video tech is the future of football'

By Daily Sports on June 21, 2017

Fifa president Gianni Infantino on Monday strongly defended the use of video assistant referees (VAR) during the first round of group-stage matches at the Confederations Cup in Russia.

The latest of the five decisions to go to review was when the video assistant awarded Australia a goal in their 3-2 defeat to Germany on Monday, despite replays appearing to show a handball from eventual scorer Tomi Juric in the build-up.

There was also confusion on Sunday as Eduardo Vargas saw his apparent goal for Chile ruled out for a marginal offside over a minute after he had started his celebrations.

"I am extremely happy with VAR so far," Infantino said in a statement on the Fifa website.

"We have seen how video assistance has helped referees to make the correct decisions. That is what VAR is all about.

"The VAR tests used during this Confederations Cup are also helping us to improve the processes and fine-tune communication.

"What fans have been waiting for over so many years is finally happening. This is a milestone tournament.

"Video assistant refereeing is the future of modern football."

In April, Infantino said that the technology would be used at the 2018 World Cup after "very positive feedback".

The International Football Association Board (IFAB), which governs the laws of the game, authorised VAR to be used on an experimental basis in March 2016.

It can only be used to decide whether or not to award a goal or a penalty, for straight red cards and in cases of mistaken player identity.

*Photo shows Fifa President Gianni Infantino.

Source Daily Sports

Posted June 21, 2017


 

You may also like...
Anthony Joshua explains why he ‘HATED’ Dillian Whyte...

AFCON 2023 Qualifier: Osimhen, Musa, Lookman, 19 Others...

Bayern Munich Star Kimmich Out Till New Year...

Malian clubs disqualified from FIFA competitions

Omeruo Excited to Join Leganes from Chelsea

Vardy Scores Again In Leicester Victory Over Watford...

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,318 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,488 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,472 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,073 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,057 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,055 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,870 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,418 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,529 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,132 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,570 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,992 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media