By Daily Sports on May 9, 2017
Minutes after turning what was touted as a big fight into a glorified sparring session, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez invited his next opponent into the ring.
About 90 minutes later, Alvarez had already changed into a suit and tie to pose for the first staredown with Gennady "GGG" Golovkin.
At long last, Alvarez is ready to give boxing fans what they want. The two will square off on Sept. 16, Mexican Independence Day.
"I'm very happy that this fight is finally here," Alvarez said through an interpreter, "the one that a lot of you said would never be made."
Alvarez, who had been fighting at light middleweight, had been accused of ducking the heavier Golovkin for a year.
But after pummeling countryman Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on Saturday night, Mexico's top fighter is eager for the long overdue megafight to determine the middleweight champion.
"For us, this is the biggest fight in boxing," Golovkin said.
The Kazakhstan native owns the IBF, WBA and WBC middleweight titles. Alvarez had to relinquish his WBC belt to Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) last year when he declined a mandatory challenge.
"I've always stated that Triple G will happen in 2017," said Oscar De La Hoya, Alvarez's promoter. "Everybody was saying, 'Why are you afraid of Triple G? Why is this not going to happen?' I told everybody it's going to happen in September, and we're extremely proud and happy that this fight is going to take place."
Still to be determined is the venue, and De La Hoya insisted it could be "anywhere in the world."
One possibility is AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, which would allow for a crowd upward of 100,000. The Dallas Cowboys play on the road that weekend, making it an option.
It was a WWE-style display that showed how little concern the Alvarez camp had for Chavez. The deal with Golovkin was signed a week earlier but successfully kept under wraps.
"It couldn't be a bigger announcement in the sport of boxing," said Tom Loeffler, Golovkin's promoter. "It wasn't easy making the fight, but it was even harder not announcing the fight." (AFP)
*Photo shows Canelo and Golovkin.
Source Daily Sports
Posted May 9, 2017
You may also like...
Djokovic Tests Negative For Coronavirus
Amusan sets new 60m African record
Joe Erico (Jogo Benito) A Requiem, Golden Eaglets...
Ademola Lookman wins 2024 CAF African Player of...
Iwobi keen to improve Arsenal goal return
Abia not in a hurry to complete renovation...

FIFA Monday meeting to determine Eagles’ World Cup fate
Adesanya keen to prove GOAT status
Davis Cup: Ochei sparks Nigeria’s tennis revival
56 grassroots clubs battle for Taiwo Afolabi Cup
ICYMI: CAF reaffirms Morocco as host of WAFCON 2026, rejects postponement talk
PHOTOS: Kenya’s Ezra Kering wins 2026 Lagos city marathon
Chukwuemka prefers Austria to Nigeria
Enekwechi throws season best, Okezie finishes second in Serbia
Ogazi wins SEC Runner of the Week
Lookman has matched Osimhen’s impact – Peseiro
West Ham plot Chukwueze summer hijack
Tennis: Stakeholders dream big after Davis Cup promotion
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,556 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,864 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,774 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,414 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,330 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,248 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,114 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,664 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,833 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,364 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,756 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,220 views)