Djokovic unsure of Australian Open return

By Daily Sports Nigeria on January 25, 2025

Novak Djokovic says he will return to the Australian Open next year if he is still "fit, healthy and motivated".

The 37-year-old Serb, aiming for a record-extending 11th men's singles title, retired injured from his semi-final against Alexander Zverev on Friday.

He raised both thumbs in the air towards the 15,000 fans as he left Rod Laver Arena - which he has often described as his "second home".

Asked if it might be his final appearance at Melbourne Park, Djokovic said. "I don't know. There is a chance. Who knows? I'll just have to see how the season goes.

"I want to keep going. But whether I'm going to have a revised schedule or not for the next year, I'm not sure."

It is the second successive year that Djokovic has lost in the Melbourne semi-finals.

Djokovic has stripped back his schedule in recent seasons and prioritised being ready for the biggest tournaments - namely the four Grand Slams.

The former world number one continues to seek a 25th Slam to move clear of Australia's Margaret Court, who won 24 women's singles titles between 1960 and 1973.

The Australian Open is where Djokovic has enjoyed most of Grand Slam success followed by Wimbledon, where he has won seven titles.

He has also won three French Open and four US Open titles.

"I normally like to come to Australia to play," seventh seed Djokovic added.

"I've had the biggest success in my career here. So if I'm fit, healthy, motivated, I don't see a reason why I wouldn't come.

"But there's always a chance [it is the last time]."

Coming into the first Grand Slam of the season, there was a feeling Djokovic cannot outlast the very best of his younger opponents over five sets like he used to.

Last year was the first since 2017 - and only the second since 2011 - that Djokovic did not win a Grand Slam.

Jannik Sinner's comfortable victory in last year's semi-final - ending Djokovic's 33-match winning streak at Melbourne Park - damaged his aura of invincibility.

Sinner, 23, and Alcaraz, 21 splitting the four major titles last year was further evidence that the changing of the guard was finally happening.

Djokovic proved he could still hang tough with the next generation over five sets when he recovered to beat Alcaraz on Tuesday.

It came at a cost, though.

For the second time in seven months, Djokovic battled through injury for a memorable win - only to suffer the consequences in the next round.

Djokovic tore cartilage in his right knee during his French Open fourth-round victory over Francisco Cerundolo, forcing him to withdraw from the quarter-final against Casper Ruud two days later.

"It's not like I'm approaching every Grand Slam now and worrying whether I'm going to get injured or not," said Djokovic, who was aiming to become the oldest man to win a major in the Open era.

"But statistics are against me in a way in the last couple of years.

"I don't know what exactly is the reason for [the injuries]. But I'll keep going.

"I'll keep striving to win more slams. And as long as I feel that I want to put up with all of this, I'll be around."

Source BBC Sports

Posted January 25, 2025


 

You may also like...
Sajo Dandija Replaces Bukola Olopade As NNL CEO...

European Clubs, Others Set To Storm Nigeria For...

Liverpool owners FSG will ‘consider’ new shareholders amid...

Chukwueze listed among LaLiga’s prolific players

South South FA Chairmen Write NFF To Stop...

Godfred sets new PB in Minnesota Open

 

Latest News Nobody'll Stop Me From Contesting 2027 Election, Obi Vows -Even If It Holds in Their Bedroom -Assures Youths Of Accountability In Governance FIFA Monday meeting to determine Eagles’ World Cup fate Adesanya keen to prove GOAT status Davis Cup: Ochei sparks Nigeria’s tennis revival 56 grassroots clubs battle for Taiwo Afolabi Cup ICYMI: CAF reaffirms Morocco as host of WAFCON 2026, rejects postponement talk PHOTOS: Kenya’s Ezra Kering wins 2026 Lagos city marathon Chukwuemka prefers Austria to Nigeria Enekwechi throws season best, Okezie finishes second in Serbia Ogazi wins SEC Runner of the Week Lookman has matched Osimhen’s impact – Peseiro West Ham plot Chukwueze summer hijack

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,556 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,866 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,777 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,417 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,331 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,249 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,117 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,667 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,836 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,367 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,759 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,222 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media