Kuwait sues IOC fo $1 billion over Olympics suspension

By Daily Sports on June 23, 2016

Kuwait has filed a lawsuit against the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in Switzerland for more than $1bn in damages over the suspension of the Arab nation's Olympic committee. 

The dispute comes after the IOC and world football governing body, FIFA, suspended Kuwait in October on grounds of government interference in sports.

"It is totally unacceptable that Kuwait is treated in this unfair way and barred from international sports activities without any appropriate probe being conducted," said Information Minister Sheikh Salman al-Homoud Al Sabah in comments published on Thursday by the state-run Kuwait News Agency.

"From the very beginning Kuwait did its utmost to prevent the IOC suspension and showed a sincere desire to cooperate, but all to no avail.

"We sent a UN-sponsored delegation to Geneva to explain to the sports body that the Kuwaiti government by no means intervenes in sports activities." 

The minister said the government had filed a lawsuit in a Swiss court against 14 board members of the IOC and is seeking $1.3bn in damages.

The suspension could bar Kuwaiti athletes from representing their country at this summer's Olympic Games in Rio de janeiro, Brazil.

Earlier this month, the IOC's executive board authorised individual Kuwaiti athletes to compete under the Olympic flag if they qualify. (aljazeera.com)

Source Daily Sports

Posted June 23, 2016


 

You may also like...
Akpom’s goal form delights Carrick

Suarez Says Koeman Blasts Barcelona Coach, Ex-President

NCoS Stages Football Competition For Inmates

Henry named Belgium assistant coach

Giggs Explains Difference Between Sir Alex and Van...

NPFL: MFM look past 3SC

 

Latest News Nobody'll Stop Me From Contesting 2027 Election, Obi Vows -Even If It Holds in Their Bedroom -Assures Youths Of Accountability In Governance FIFA Monday meeting to determine Eagles’ World Cup fate Adesanya keen to prove GOAT status Davis Cup: Ochei sparks Nigeria’s tennis revival 56 grassroots clubs battle for Taiwo Afolabi Cup ICYMI: CAF reaffirms Morocco as host of WAFCON 2026, rejects postponement talk PHOTOS: Kenya’s Ezra Kering wins 2026 Lagos city marathon Chukwuemka prefers Austria to Nigeria Enekwechi throws season best, Okezie finishes second in Serbia Ogazi wins SEC Runner of the Week Lookman has matched Osimhen’s impact – Peseiro West Ham plot Chukwueze summer hijack

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,556 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,866 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,777 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,417 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,331 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,249 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,116 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,667 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,836 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,367 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,758 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,222 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media