Adepoju, Shorunmu Differ On Ighalo’s Return To Eagles

By Daily Sports on November 1, 2021

Former Super Eagles midfielder, Mutiu Adepoju, has queried the rationale behind the invitation of Saudi Arabia-based striker Odion Ighalo to the national team.

Eagles coach Gernot Rohr last week announced that Ighalo, who retired from the team two years ago, was in his 40-man provisional list for next month’s 2022 World Cup qualifiers.

Speaking with journalists during the final of the 40th CBN Governor’s Cup at the Lekan Salami Stadium, Ibadan, Adepoju said although Ighalo was a potent striker, there were younger players in the national team doing well in their clubs.

With an avalanche of young strikers — scoring goals week-in-week-out for their clubs in Europe — at Rohr’s disposal, Adepoju, an AFCON winner and veteran of three World Cups, wondered why the Franco-German needed the 32-year-old Ighalo.

“I like Ighalo as a player, he is a very good striker. He retired from the Super Eagles two years, so, if he is recalled to do what the strikers in the team are doing, well, I don’t know the reason for that,” Adepoju said.

“We have (Victor) Osimhen scoring very well for his club, we have  Kelechi Iheanacho, Taiwo Awoniyi and so many of them.

“If we have players who are doing very well and scoring goals in their clubs, do we still have to recall Ighalo? It’s just my opinion.”

But former Eagles goalkeeper, Ike Shorunmu, opined that the coach wanted the best for the team, with the recall of Ighalo.

“The coach wants the best for the country and he if says he wants Ighalo, as long as he gives us result, it is his choice,” Shorunmu said. (The PUNCH)

•PHOTO: Veteran striker Odion Ighalo 

Source Daily Sports

Posted November 1, 2021


 

You may also like...
Man Utd Halt Man City's Winning Streak With...

Klitschko: Anthony Joshua will beat Tyson Fury hands...

Australian Open 2018: 15 year-old reaches third round...

Cheer Up, Gallant Super Falcons!

Abraham On Target Chelsea Brush Aside Crystal Palace...

N1.4 million up for grabs at finals of...

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,316 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,484 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,471 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,071 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,055 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,052 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,868 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,417 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,528 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,130 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,568 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,989 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media