By Daily sports on June 28, 2021
Serena Williams said Sunday that she will not compete at the Tokyo Olympics next month, joining fellow Grand Slam legend Rafael Nadal in withdrawing from the Games.
The 39-year-old American revealed her decision at her pre-Wimbledon press conference.
“I’m actually not on the Olympic list, so… Not that I’m aware of. If so, then I shouldn’t be on it,” she said.
She refused to divulge the reasons for her decision.
However, a ban on foreign fans as well as family members at the Olympics would have meant Williams being separated from her daughter Alexis Olympia.
The Olympics have already been delayed by a year and organisers have been forced to introduce strict measures to fight COVID-19.
“There’s a lot of reasons that I made my Olympic decision,” she said.
“I don’t feel like going into them today. Maybe another day. Sorry.”
Williams is the joint-most successful Olympian in tennis history in terms of gold medals alongside sister Venus having won one gold medal each in singles and three in doubles.
Venus edges the medal count slightly as she also won a silver in mixed doubles in 2016 in Rio.
Serena, who is bidding to equal Margaret Court’s record of 24 Grand Slam singles titles at Wimbledon, added she had not really thought about what it would mean to miss the Games.
She won the 2012 Olympic singles title in London on the same Centre Court where she has won seven Wimbledon singles titles.
She also won doubles gold with sister Venus in Sydney (2000), Beijing (2008) and London.
“I have not thought about it (missing the Games),” said Williams, who plays world number 100 Aliaksandra Sasnovich of Belarus in the first round at Wimbledon.
“In the past it’s been a wonderful place for me. I really haven’t thought about it, so I’m going to keep not thinking about it.”
Nadal announced earlier this month he would be missing Wimbledon and the Olympics so as to look after his body and prolong his career.
His great rivals Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic have yet to decide whether they will go to Tokyo.
Federer, who like Serena is 39, said Saturday it will depend on how he fares at Wimbledon.
Two-time defending Olympic singles champion Andy Murray will be going, fitness permitting, as he has been selected in the Team GB squad.
Austrian Dominic Thiem will be another absentee.
The 27-year-old 2020 US Open champion announced his decision on the same day as Nadal and just before he withdrew from Wimbledon due to a wrist injury. (AFP)
•PHOTO: Serena Williams
Source Daily sports
Posted June 28, 2021
You may also like...
NSF: Team Delta lead with 146 gold, Zamfara...
KP Boateng Reveals How Racism Made Him Cry...
South American Countries Rule Out Early Release Of...
River Plate refuse to play Copa Libertadores final...
Mundine challenges Horn
Federer Unlikely To Play At 2022 Australian Open...

Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal
I’m going to school Paul – Joshua
EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown
Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,186 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,923 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,508 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,633 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)