Bale: I deserved Puskas award over Salah

By Daily Sports on December 5, 2018

Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale has said he would have been a more deserving winner of this year’s FIFA’s Puskas goal of the year award than actual claimant Mo Salah.

Bale’s spectacular overhead kick was the second goal in Madrid’s 3-1 victory over Liverpool in last season’s Champions League final. However Puskas voters among the public went for the Egypt international’s goal for the Reds against Everton in December 2017’s Premier League Merseyside derby.

On winning FourFourTwo magazine’s goal of the year award, Bale said that Salah’s victory had “diminished” the status of the Puskas award.

“Yeah, I was surprised by that, to be honest,” the Wales international said. “What can you say?

“It makes the award look a little diminished, although it was obviously a great goal by Salah.”

Bale, 29, denied there had been any good fortune involved in his goal against Liverpool, when he acrobatically met Marcelo’s cross and powered the ball past goalkeeper Loris Karius. “It was instinctive,” Bale said. “I got my body positioned correctly, got my footwork right, and caught it perfectly.

“When you catch the ball perfectly, you know it’s on target. You just have to hope the keeper doesn’t make an unbelievable save. So, as soon as I hit it, I knew it had a chance of going in. If you watch it, you see my head turn straight away. I knew where the ball was going.”

The former Tottenham player accepted it was the best goal of his career to date, especially considering the setting. (ESPN)

•Photo shows Gareth Bale 

Source Daily Sports

Posted December 5, 2018


 

You may also like...
Move To Your Permanent Site, Minister Tells NFF...

Leeds United Dampen Tottenham’s Hopes Of Top-Four Finish...

Olympic medal loss does not tarnish legacy-Bolt

EURO 2016 - Iceland knock England out of...

Skipper Koscielny Boycotts Arsenal’s Pre-Season Tour

BREAKING: Amaju Pinnick Re-Elected NFF President

 

Latest News Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos Akwa governor almost stopped Uyo pitch maintenance – Gusau Ezechukwu eyes double gold in African Champs

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,780 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,102 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,038 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,625 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,543 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,443 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,839 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,026 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,524 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,948 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,399 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media