By Daily Sports on November 21, 2018
U.S. women’s national team star Alex Morgan has slammed FIFA for an insufficient increase in prize money for the 2019 Women’s World Cup.
Football’s governing body announced last month that prize money for the 2019 tournament in France would be doubled from the 2015 edition in Canada.
Tournament winners will earn $4 million (£3.1m), double the amount from 2015, and overall prize money has gone up from $15m to $30m (£23.4m).However, the amount female players will earn still pales in comparison to their male counterparts, with $400m (£312m) in total prize money awarded for this year’s men’s World Cup in Russia.
“What they’re not realising is that it’s so far behind that a little is not going to receive the sort of applause that they’re looking for,” Morgan said of FIFA in an interview with SVT Sport.
Morgan and her teammates on the USWNT have been vocal in their support for gender equality over the years, having taken part in a public fight with U.S. Soccer over terms for a new collective bargaining agreement that was signed in 2017.
“I think it became important to all of us on this team going through the last couple contract negotiations with U.S. Soccer,” Morgan said.
“We didn’t really understand the power that we held as players. I think it was pretty incredible going through this last contract negotiation realising the power that we do have if we all stay united together.”
The 29-year-old also called on more male players to support their female counterparts as they struggle for more equality in the coming years.
“I think the support from male players is crucial for us,” Morgan said. “We have gotten that little by little, but I hope that when it catches on it catches like fire.
“Right now it’s difficult to be the one or the two to step out as a male player but then when everyone starts stepping out you don’t want to be the one or two that doesn’t.”
FIFA has been roundly criticised for various gender-related issues in the past, with the 2015 World Cup controversially taking place entirely on fields with artificial turf.
In 2019, the issue could be video assistant referees, with FIFA yet to confirm whether VAR will be used in France after it was implemented in the men's World Cup this summer.
Morgan knows there is still plenty left to fight for, and insists she and her teammates will continue to raise their voices.
“There are still issues that we want to raise,” Morgan said.
“We want to continue to use our voice for important things and I think we have a great amount of players on this team that are willing to step up and speak up for people who don’t feel like they have a voice.” (Goal)
•Photo shows Alex Morgan
Source Daily Sports
Posted November 21, 2018
You may also like...
Pioli warns Chukwueze: Step up or step down...
Oshoala missing as Nigeria battle Cote d’Ivoire for...
Koeman: Barca Must ‘Close The Book’ On Messi...
Barcelona President Seeks Reshuffle Of Club Board
Messi Hosts Barcelona Team Ahead Of Atletico Clash...
Tunisia, Angola Battle to a Draw

Olayinka ready for Saudi journey
Why NSC picked Lagos to host intermediate games – DG
EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund
D’Tigress intensify World Cup prep in Spain
Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs
Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney
Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers
Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight
UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco
Why elite athletes use supplements — Report
No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,039 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,399 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,286 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,891 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,767 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,642 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,538 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,053 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,255 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,727 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,213 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,595 views)