Buhari assures on Nigeria’s participation in 2018 Commonwealth Games

By Daily Sports on April 4, 2017

President Muhammadu Buhari has assured Nigerians that the country would participate with an adequately prepared contingent in the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia.

Buhari gave the assurance as he received the Queens Baton Relay in Lagos yesterday.

The Queen of England, Queen Elizabeth II, flagged off the Queen’s Baton Relay on March 13 in London which coincided with the Commonwealth Day.

“It’s a great pleasure to receive the Queen’s Baton Relay in Nigeria. The Baton is expected to move round all the Commonwealth nations.

“Next year’s edition, which is the 21st Commonwealth Games, will mark Nigeria’s fifth participation in the Queen’s Relay. The Queen’s Baton Relay is a challenge for us to prepare for the Games.

“We plan to send a ready team of athletes to the Games with the hope of surpassing our past records in terms of medal haul,” said Buhari, represented by the Minister of Youth and Sports, Solomon Dalung.

“We will not relent in our role of ensuring that athletes are equipped with adequate resources for training and participation in the competition.

“Government must invest and transform training facilities and uplift the technical men. We will continue to pursue this as a noble policy that will take Nigeria forward.”

He said that Buhari couldn’t come to receive the Queen’s Baton Relay personally and asked him to do that on his behalf and that of the entire sport-loving Nigerians.

Habu Gumel, the President, Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC), said that Nigeria had been a strong force in the Commonwealth sports community.

“Since our debut in the 1950 Commonwealth Games in Auckland, New Zealand, our nation’s profile at the quadrennial Games has been on the rise.

“Nigerian athletes have never failed to prove their mettle in placing our nation on the scoreboard of this global sporting fiesta.

“For our nation to sustain the winning momentum at the Commonwealth level, we will require all the support of both the public and private sector, especially in the area of funding.

“This will ensure adequate preparation for the participation of our contingent. We therefore, solicit the continuous support of everyone,” Gumel said. (NAN)
 

Source Daily Sports

Posted April 4, 2017


 

You may also like...
Chelsea ‘A long way’ Behind Liverpool, Warns Lampard...

Desperate Chelsea turn sights to Adebayor

Nigeria’s Etebo Set To Miss Africa Cup of...

Nigeria, Angola Storm Into FIFA U17 World Cup...

Sweet Victory: Steven Gerrard Enjoys Memorable First Match...

Exhausted Real Madrid Lose Momentum In Title Race...

 

Latest News WAFCON: Ajibade insists Falcons gave everything Dolphins begin WBPL title defence with 59-46 win Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure Agege LG boss kicks off 2026 Obasa Summer Games Super Falcons miss first Women’s World Cup after 2-1 S’Africa loss Joshua, Fury fight hits stumbling block Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,030 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,389 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,277 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,877 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,756 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,633 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,526 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,039 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,247 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,717 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,205 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media