Paul’s $40m demand puts Joshua fight in doubt

By Daily Sports Nigeria on July 30, 2025

Jake Paul’s eye-watering $40m demand has cast serious doubt over a proposed blockbuster bout against Anthony Joshua, with Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn declaring the fight is “not happening”, PUNCH Sports Extra reports.

Barely a week ago, there was optimism around the possibility of a December showdown between the former heavyweight champion and the American YouTuber-turned-boxer. Hearn had previously suggested that Joshua was open to squeezing in a fight with Paul before a potential clash with Tyson Fury in 2026.

He also confirmed that Saudi adviser Turki Alalshikh had been engaged in preliminary discussions to facilitate the bout.

But Hearn has since backtracked, telling Boxing Social that Paul’s financial expectations have derailed the talks.

“Jake Paul wants $40m to fight Anthony Joshua. It’s not happening,” Hearn said, expressing skepticism about Paul’s intentions.

 “I don’t believe Jake Paul is serious. I don’t trust that he would take the fight. I think Francis Ngannou would destroy him, let alone AJ.”

Although the search for Joshua’s December opponent continues, Paul is no longer a viable option, according to the promoter.

“We want AJ to fight in December, and we’re looking at a number of names. Jake Paul just isn’t one of them right now. We are ready for December, but Jake Paul is not an easy opponent to negotiate with.”

The pair, who once stood on opposite ends of a legal dispute, had seemingly patched things up after Hearn dropped a $100m defamation suit against Paul earlier this year.

The legal row stemmed from Paul’s allegation that Hearn paid judge Glenn Feldman to favour Matchroom fighters. The resolution of that case paved the way for both parties to work together on the Katie Taylor–Amanda Serrano trilogy, but that temporary peace appears not to have extended to serious talks about a Joshua–Paul fight.

From a commercial standpoint, a bout between Joshua and Paul would likely generate massive interest across both sides of the Atlantic. With a possible 90,000-seat Wembley gate, the financial incentive for all involved remains compelling. But Hearn insists that without a realistic negotiation framework, such hype remains nothing more than fantasy.

Joshua (28-4, 25 KOs), now 35, is hoping to bounce back from his shock fifth-round stoppage defeat to Daniel Dubois last September in a failed bid to become a three-time world champion. While no longer a central figure in the title scene, the British-Nigerian remains a massive draw and is keen to make the most of the remaining years of his career.

The long-discussed all-British mega-fight against Tyson Fury may finally materialise in 2026, particularly now that Fury is no longer holding the belts. Still, it hasn’t stopped Fury from stirring the pot regarding Paul’s potential.

 “I think Jake Paul knocks him out,” Fury told The Ring.

“I just think Jake Paul would knock AJ out. I think AJ is a spent force, and I think Jake Paul is on the rise.”

While Fury’s comments are sure to raise eyebrows, the likelihood of Paul stepping into the ring with Joshua appears more distant than ever, unless the American drastically lowers his price tag.

Source Punch Ng

Posted July 30, 2025


 

You may also like...
Rivers United reach Confed Cup group stage

Anichebe released by Sunderland

Vardy strike sinks Everton in win for Leicester...

Iwobi keen to improve Arsenal goal return

Amid Neymar, Mbappe & Hazard links, Real Madrid...

Aina relishes Chelsea clash

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,320 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,491 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,474 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,075 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,061 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,057 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,874 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,420 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,532 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,134 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,573 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,994 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media