'I'm not at level of Alcaraz or Sinner' - Djokovic

By Daily Sports Nigeria on July 15, 2024

Novak Djokovic says he is "not at that level" after falling to a chastening defeat against Carlos Alcaraz in the men's singles Wimbledon final.

The 24-time Grand Slam winner looked almost helpless as Alcaraz powered to a 6-2 6-2 7-6 (7-4) win - his second straight victory over Djokovic in the SW19 showpiece.

It is another result that marks a changing of the guard in men's tennis.

Between them, 21-year-old Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner, 22, have won all three of this year's Grand Slam tournaments.

"Both of them are the best this year by far, I feel like I'm not at that level," said 24-time Grand Slam champion Djokovic.

"In order to really have a chance to, I guess, beat these guys in Grand Slam latter stages or Olympics, I'm going to have to play much better than I did today and feel much better than I did today."

Yet to win a title this year, it has been Djokovic's worst start to a season since 2006.

The 37-year-old was outplayed by Alcaraz in Sunday's final, with the young Spaniard reeling off deft drop shots, hefty serves and thunderous forehand winners.

"Just overall the way I felt on the court today against him, I was inferior on the court," Djokovic said in his news conference.

"That's it. He was a better player. He played every single shot better than I did."

When Djokovic fell a break down in the fourth set of last year's final, he took out his frustrations by smashing his racquet against the net post.

However, there was barely a flicker of emotion from the seven-time Wimbledon champion when he found himself two sets to love down on Sunday.

Nick Kyrgios, a runner-up to Djokovic in 2022, described him as being "so flat".

"I would have liked to have seen – whether it was a racquet smash or a roar or something – after Novak went down those two sets, I needed to see an outburst to kind of reset his energy," Kyrgios told BBC TV.

"He was so flat for so long and then there was a game at 3-2 in the third set where he really came alive, but it was a bit too late."

The Serb underwent surgery on a medial meniscus tear in his right knee less than a month before his first-round match.

"If someone told me I would play Wimbledon finals three, four weeks ago, I would take it for sure," Djokovic said.

Alcaraz said it was "amazing" and "unbelievable" what Djokovic had done over the fortnight, describing his opponent as "superman".

"I did all I can to prepare myself for this match and this tournament in general," added Djokovic.

"Today I saw that I was just, as I said, half a step behind him in every sense. That's the reality that I have to accept at the moment."

espite feeling that his performances of late are not matching those of Sinner or Alcaraz, Djokovic has no plans to retire any time soon.

He is still planning on competing for Serbia at the Olympic Games in Paris this summer with the hope of winning a gold medal - the only thing missing from his vast trophy collection.

"Hopefully I can find the right tennis because I'm going to need all I have and more to go to the final of the Olympic Games," Djokovic said.

He added: "As far as coming back here, I mean, I would love to. I don't have anything else in my thoughts right now that this is my last Wimbledon.

"I don't have any limitations in my mind. I still want to keep going and play as long as I feel like I can play on this high level."

Source BBC Sports

Posted July 15, 2024


 

You may also like...
Super Eagles set to fly against Luxembourg

Alli bags best player at Tottenham, not Kane...

Leon Balogun dismisses Zambia threat

Joshua denies Dubois nearly knocked him out sparring...

2023 Onitsha City Marathon finally cancelled

SWAN Week: Mitchell Obi charges journalists to fight...

 

Latest News Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure Agege LG boss kicks off 2026 Obasa Summer Games Super Falcons miss first Women’s World Cup after 2-1 S’Africa loss Joshua, Fury fight hits stumbling block Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss Katsina United clarifies Ozor’s death report SWAN Congratulates New Anambra CP Ama On Assumption Of Duty

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,030 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,387 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,277 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,877 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,756 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,632 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,526 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,036 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,246 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,717 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,205 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media