By Daily Sports on May 16, 2017
Eighteen-time major winner Roger Federer will sit out the French Open and the rest of the clay-court season.
The 35-year-old, fifth in the world rankings, says he made the decision in an attempt to continue playing on the ATP Tour "for many years to come".
The Swiss added he will now prepare for the grass and hard-court seasons, which begin in June.
"I need to recognise that scheduling will be the key to my longevity," he said.
"Thus, my team and I concluded that playing just one event on clay was not in the best interest of my tennis and physical preparation for the remainder of the season.
"I will miss the French fans, who have always been so supportive and I look forward to seeing them at Roland Garros next year."
Federer missed last year's French Open through injury - the first time he did not compete in Paris since his debut in 1999.
He won the tournament for the only time in 2009 and is a four-time runner-up.
Federer has won three titles so far this season, including the Australian Open - his first Grand Slam success in five years.
He also claimed the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells in March and, two weeks later, won the Miami Open.
The French Open begins on May 28.
*Photo shows Roger Federer in action.
Source Daily Sports
Posted May 16, 2017
You may also like...
President Kagame calls for change at Arsenal
AFCON Double Header: Ighalo will deliver the goals...
Remo, 3SC rekindle South West derby in Ikenne...
Henry Nwosu Urges NFF To Clarify Issues Surrounding...
Dream Team VI in good start, beat Mali...
Hodgson: Palace Talisman Zaha Is Not For Sale...

Plymouth striker Oseni shocked by Nigeria call-up
African athletes possess NFL traits in abundance — Umenyiora
AFCON 2027: Udeze warns Chelle not to underestimate opponents
Joshua, Fury in contract stalemate
Agunbiade emerges Nigeria’s lone survivor at WTT Lagos
Nigeria call-up boosted my confidence – Alebiosu
First Eagles invite thrills Rangers’ Oputa
270 athletes begin journey to stardom in Edo
Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,796 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,116 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,072 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,636 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,551 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,455 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,850 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,036 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,534 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,964 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,406 views)