By Daily Sports on April 26, 2017
The goalkeeper who served part of a 22-year sentence for murder before returning to football in April has been ordered back to prison, Brazil’s Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday.
Bruno Fernandes handed himself in to police after the court ruled the decision to release him was ‘unviable’.
However, he returned to his club's base in the small town of Varginha because police did not have the correct paperwork to detain him overnight.
“He came to the police station but we didn’t have the documents to hold him,” Thiago Gomes, an investigator at the police station, told Reuters.
“He went to the hotel where the players are living and tomorrow at midday he is going to the courthouse to present himself to the judge.”
Brazil’s Supreme Court ruled by three votes to one earlier in the day to overturn a February appeal ruling that allowed Fernandes to leave jail.
“The decision reestablishes Bruno’s custody,” the court said in a statement.
Fernandes, a once promising goalkeeper who won the first division with Flamengo in 2009, was arrested in 2010 and found guilty of murdering his ex-girlfriend, who was the mother of his son, and feeding her body to dogs.
He served seven years of a 22-year jail sentence before being released and was then signed in March by Boa Esporte, a small team in Brazil's second division.
He has played in several league games since making his debut in April.
The club was not immediately available for comment. Media reports said they had cancelled Tuesday afternoon’s training session.
Fernandes’ lawyer, Lucio Adolfo da Silva, was quoted as saying by the UOL website that the player would appeal the court’s decision. © Reuters
•Photo shows convicted Brazilian goalkeeper Bruno Fernandes.
Source Daily Sports
Posted April 26, 2017
You may also like...
Club Africain go top after victory in Nigeria...
Tandoh joins 2018 Access Bank Lagos City Marathon...
Aubameyang Deal Shows Arsenal Are Among European Giants,...
West Ham agree £16m deal for Javier Hernandez...
Nigerian Striker Sadiq Umar Looks To End The...
Spurs survive Wolves fightback to go fourth

Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother
Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney
First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor
Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp
Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu
Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday
NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands
Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ
NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,571 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,877 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,423 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,257 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,845 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,374 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)