By Daily Sports on March 13, 2017
Antonio Conte has firmly rejected Jose Mourinho’s suggestions that he has turned Chelsea into a counter-attacking team, but the Italian says his counterpart’s barbs at the Blues should not affect his legend status at Stamford Bridge.
Mourinho takes United to London on Monday in the FA Cup quarter-finals, having suffered a humiliating 4-0 reverse in October on his first return to the club since his sacking in 2015.
The Portuguese has appeared a frustrated figure as Conte has taken Chelsea to the top of the league, while he languishes outside the top four with United, despite going unbeaten since that Stamford Bridge hammering.
But Conte says Mourinho will not dilute his standing with the club, having led them to three Premier League titles, regardless of his jibes.
“Jose Mourinho wrote a good part of the history of Chelsea,” Conte said. “He won a lot with the players. He did a great job here in Chelsea. It's important, always, not to forget this.
“I have great respect for him because he’s a winner. I like his mentality. He has a winning mentality. For sure, he’s one of the best in the world and, here, he did a great job. I think every single fan must respect him.”
There was a suggestion that Mourinho may have gotten to the former Italy coach, however.
Mourinho said last month: “It looks like this season to be phenomenal defensively and good in counter attack is art” – a thinly veiled dig at admirers of Conte’s team.
But the Italian says sitting on the back foot is the last thing on his mind.
“I have to tell you one thing,” Conte said. “Not only here, but I never, ever, ever train for the counter-attack.
Never prepare for the counter-attack. Never.
“I think the counter-attack is an option, above all, if you have this type of player, players who are very, very fast.
Also [Diego] Costa is a counter-attacking man, and Willian and Pedro.
“It’s normal to have this situation with space, so they know what they can do.
“For me, it’s important to train the other aspects: when we have the ball, when we stay almost always in our opponents’ half, to prepare when we are attacking.
“It’s very difficult to train counter-attacking but it’s not my priority.” (mtnfootball.com)
•Photo shows Antonio Conte exchanging handshake with Jose Mourinho during a previous encounter between Chelsea and Manchester United.
Source Daily Sports
Posted March 13, 2017
You may also like...
LMC appeals conviction of Nigeria league bosses for...
Banned long jumper switches to NFL
Flying Eagles zoom into next round of AFCON...
Anthony Joshua: Join the queue Hearn tells Wilder...
VIPS Allowed At Tokyo 2020 Opening Ceremony, But...
German Clubs Agree Plans To Allow Fans To...

Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale
NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege
FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off
Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials
Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen
Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket
LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos
Akwa governor almost stopped Uyo pitch maintenance – Gusau
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,782 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,102 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,045 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,625 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,543 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,444 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,840 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,027 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,525 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,950 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,399 views)