Ghana tournament a success – Grant

By Daily Sports on February 3, 2017

Avram Grant could not hide his dejection after Ghana's 2-0 defeat to Cameroon in the Africa Cup of Nations semifinals on Thursday but he insisted it had been a good tournament for the Black Stars.

It was a sixth successive appearance in the last four for the Ghanaians but they were defeated by second-half goals by Michael Ngadeu and Christian Bassogog in Franceville and have still not won the trophy since 1982.

"I think we are successful even now," said Grant when asked about Ghana's inability to go the extra step in the competition in recent years.

"We didn't win the cup but we have had a good tournament. Today we were the better side, and in the last tournament we only lost on penalties."

Ghana got to the final two years ago in Equatorial Guinea but succumbed 9-8 on penalties to the Ivory Coast after a goalless draw.

"It is a good generation, a new generation, and I think they will win a lot of titles," Grant added.

Ghana can still qualify for next year's World Cup in Russia -- they resume their campaign at home to Congo Brazzaville in August -- but it remains to be seen if Grant will still be in charge then.

"My future is not important now. What matters now is that we lost after a very good tournament," added the Israeli former Chelsea manager.

Before that Ghana now have to go back to the port city of Port-Gentil, where they were based during the group phase, to play Burkina Faso in the third-place play-off on Saturday evening.

"Its not the dream of our life to play this game but if we have to play it we will," said Grant of that match. (supersport.com)

•Photo shows Avram Grant

Source Daily Sports

Posted February 3, 2017


 

You may also like...
How Leicester beat champions Man City to pull...

Kwara Ladies, Ubakala secure NWFL Pro-League tickets

Klopp Reveals Guardiola Call after Liverpool’s Champions League...

Victor Moses extends Chelsea contract till 2021

Dumuje-Abili: Nigerian swimming prodigy inspired by Phelps, Messi...

Serena Williams set to battle sister Venus at...

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,320 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,490 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,474 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,075 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,060 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,057 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,874 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,420 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,531 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,134 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,573 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,994 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media