Nwosu to NFF: Embark on aggressive sponsorship drive; you can’t leave everything to government

By Augustine Kalu on January 10, 2017

 

 Former national team captain and striker, Henry Nwosu, has heaped the blame of last year’s national and international embarrassment occasioned by the Super Falcons sit in protest to drive home their demand that their bonuses and allowances that ran into millions be paid to them before President Muhammadu Buhari’s intervention on the door steps of the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF).
Speaking with Daily Sports in an exclusive interview, the member of the 1980 Green Eagles squad that won the Nation Cup for the country as the national team was known then, explained that the blame for the national and international embarrassment caused by the Super Falcons action should go to the Amaju Pinnick led board of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for their failure to do what they were supposed to do by going on aggressive sponsorship drive to raise funds for their activities to augment whatever the Federal Government made available.

“I have always said it and I will continue to say it that it is wrong for you to leave everything to the government,” Nwosu stressed.

“If we must tell ourselves the truth, it is not proper to leave everything to the Federal Government to shoulder. The Federal Government has a lot of things that they are faced with and they don’t have enough resources to attend to all these things.

“That is why the Federation should endeavour to go into aggressive marketing or sponsorship to shore up their finances so that from what they get, they will make up with what the government is giving them,” Nwosu said.

Speaking further, he said what happened late last year would have been avoided had the Federation been going for sponsorship drive to improve on their finances but preferred to remain in their offices waiting for the government to spoon feed them by providing them with all the funds they required for their programmes.

“It is sad that the NFF board members preferred staying in their cozy offices doing nothing and waiting for the government to give them all the money they need to carry out all their progammes. It is not proper. That does not portray them in good light.

“Had it been that they have been going for aggressive sponsorship drive or marketing, their situation wouldn’t have been like this.

“Everybody is very much aware of the economic situation in the country. There is no money anywhere in the country. We are in recession; that is the reality. So, leaving everything to government is not the right way to go.

“Look, like I said, had it been that they have been going on sponsorship drive their situation wouldn’t have been like this to the extent that they couldn’t pay the players their entitlements. It is quite unfortunate to say the least.

“If they embark on sponsorship drive, even if they get 50 per cent of what they need from one organisation, it is better than nothing at all. If they have about, let’s say 10 organisations that they are dealing with, assuming that they need about N100 million and some of them offer to give maybe N20 million and another N15 million and each of them giving nothing less than N10 million, you will find out that at the end, they will raise more than the required funds.

“Therefore, as far as I am concerned there is need for them to start going on aggressive sponsorship drive in case they have not started before now,” the former captain explained.
Photo shows Ex-international Henry Nwosu. 
 


 

Source Daily Sports

Posted January 10, 2017


 

You may also like...
Ronaldo gets hefty fine for tax evasion

NOC unveils Olympafrica Centre, Lagos sports estate

Argentina coach optimistic of Messi comeback

Djokovic Falls To Medvedev in Monte Carlo Quarters...

Napoli name Gattuso As Coach After Sacking Ancelotti...

Junior Ajayi Signs Al Ahly Contract Extension

 

Latest News Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos Akwa governor almost stopped Uyo pitch maintenance – Gusau

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,782 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,102 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,045 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,625 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,543 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,444 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,840 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,027 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,525 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,950 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,399 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media