By Daily Sports on November 12, 2016
Nathalie Boy De La Tour became the first female president of one of European football's big leagues when she took over the French Professional Football League (LFP) on a four-year term on Friday.
Boy De La Tour, 48, who previously worked with the 'Football Foundation' which promotes the game in the community, takes over from Frédéric Thiriez who resigned last month after 14 years.
Former France coach Raymond Domenech, who had been among the candidates, withdrew from the running after he was rejected in the first round by the general assembly.
French Football Federation president Noël Le Graët welcomed the appointment of "an intelligent woman" who "will calm excessive, sometimes passionate men".
"She's someone who knows the functioning of the Federation and League well, she's full of humanity, wisdom, I think it's a good choice," he said.
Boy de la Tour had not initially been a candidate but emerged as a late runner as the LFP, which oversees the 40 professional clubs in France's top two leagues, was in crisis following Thiriez's departure.
"I'm very happy to be among you, astonished and emotional," she said. "It is not an election that was expected, now I am extremely happy and I hope to meet expectations."
Divisions between the top clubs, including Paris Saint-Germain, Lyon and Marseille, and smaller sides flared up in October and the vote for a president could not be taken.
Domenech, 64, coached France from 2004 to 2010, but remains a divisive figure despite a runner-up spot in the 2006 World Cup.
His term as France coach was overshadowed by the fiasco at the 2010 World Cup and players' strike in South Africa. (supersport.com)
•Photo shows Nathalie Boy De La Tour
Source Daily Sports
Posted November 12, 2016
You may also like...
Canelo, Golovkin eager for September megafight
Pele to Undergo Urinary Tract Surgery in Brazil...
Bundesliga: Bayern Stumble To Draw Against Union Berlin...
German FA Investigating Jude Bellingham And Dortmund Over...
Liverpool Brush Aside Arsenal To Boost Top-four Hopes...
Restoration Starlets of Bayelsa Record Emphatic 4-1 Victory...

D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double
2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off
Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success
Adeshina to headline PFL Africa Lagos debut
Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale
NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege
FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off
Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,785 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,106 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,059 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,629 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,545 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,447 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,842 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,029 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,526 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,953 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,401 views)