Sharapova’s ex-boyfriend says she deserves ban

By Daily Sports on October 6, 2016

Maria Sharapova’s ex-boyfriend Grigor Dimitrov on Wednesday suggested she deserved her ban from tennis for a doping offence, an incident that has sent shockwaves through the sport. 

“I think tennis misses her,” the Bulgarian world number 20 said of the five-time Grand Slam champion, adding that he had “zero doubts” she would make a successful return.

“As a competitor she’s just going to come back and she’s going to be so hungry to play and excited and motivated,” said Dimitrov, who dated the Russian superstar for two years until they split in July 2015.

But he added: “If you do something, I mean obviously there are circumstances. And whoever does something deserves what he gets for sure.”

Dimitrov was responding to a question about an interview in which Sharapova accused the International Tennis Federation (ITF) of trying to make an example of her by giving her a 24-month ban for testing positive for meldonium.

The suspension was cut to 15 months on Tuesday after an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), meaning Sharapova can return to action next April.

Dimitrov cited the case of world number 1,857th Joshua Chetty, who was banned from tennis for life in September for match-fixing offences.

“It’s never up to me or ITF and all that,” Dimitrov said, referring to punishments of players.

“I think throughout the years, these kind of things should have started earlier with examples and all of that.”

World number two Andy Murray also said that Sharapova deserved to be suspended, echoing comments he made earlier in the year when the case was first made public.

“Maria competed at the Australian Open whilst using a banned drug, and then deserves a suspension. The time of the suspension, that’s not up to me,” Murray told reporters in Beijing.

The Scot had previously criticised the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) for how it handled the ban on meldonium, which has allowed athletes to escape suspensions.

“With everything that’s gone on this year with meldonium, obviously there were going to be some issues with that legally,” he added.

Sharapova has admitted to taking meldonium for 10 years for health reasons, but said she wasn’t aware it had been added to WADA’s list of banned substances in January.

The CAS judgment said Sharapova, one of the most marketable female athletes in any sport, was not an “intentional doper” but that she also “bore some degree of fault”.

Both Murray and Dimitrov are currently in Beijing for the China Open.

Dimitrov booked his place in the second round on Wednesday by beating American Steve Johnson 7-5, 6-7 (7/9) 6-4, while Murray overpowered Andrey Kuznetsov in two sets to reach the quarter finals. (NAN)

•Photo shows Maria Sharapova

Source Daily Sports

Posted October 5, 2016


 

You may also like...
Lyon Demands Force Arsenal To Delay Aouar Plans...

Arsenal legend Parlour: Benitez ‘perfect fit’ for Gunners...

REVEALED: Why Lampard Resisted Newcastle Approach

Seferovic hat-trick helps Swiss stun Belgium to reach...

Osimhen set for mega deal as Galatasaray ready...

Nwabali better than Uzoho – Rohr

 

Latest News Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure Agege LG boss kicks off 2026 Obasa Summer Games Super Falcons miss first Women’s World Cup after 2-1 S’Africa loss Joshua, Fury fight hits stumbling block Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss Katsina United clarifies Ozor’s death report SWAN Congratulates New Anambra CP Ama On Assumption Of Duty

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,030 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,387 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,277 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,877 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,756 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,632 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,526 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,036 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,246 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,717 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,203 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media