By Daily Sports Nigeria on October 31, 2025
Real Madrid and the promoters of the Super League are seeking more than $4 billion in damages from UEFA, which they accuse of unfairly sabotaging the breakaway competition, a source told AFP on Thursday.
A Spanish court on Wednesday dismissed an appeal filed by UEFA relating to the league.
Proposed in 2021 by 12 elite European clubs, including Real Madrid and Barcelona, the Super League project quickly collapsed following fierce opposition from English clubs’ fans and threats from UEFA and FIFA.
In December 2023, the European Court of Justice ruled that UEFA’s ban on the Super League was contrary to European law.
Last year, a Spanish judge held that FIFA and UEFA had “prevented free competition” by opposing the Super League, ruling that they had engaged in anti-competitive behaviour and abused their dominant position.
The court in Madrid on Wednesday also rejected appeals filed by La Liga and the Spanish Football Federation.
A22 Sports Management, the project’s promoter, said it regretted that UEFA had “refused any path of compromise” and “reforms” despite several months of discussions, and claimed it had “no other choice” but to “initiate proceedings to obtain compensation for the damages suffered.”
“After years of legal proceedings, UEFA can no longer ignore binding court decisions. By abusing their monopoly and preventing new initiatives, they have caused substantial damages to numerous clubs, players, and other stakeholders across Europe,” A22 CEO Bernd Reichart said.
The scope of the court’s decision remains uncertain, however, as it concerns regulations that have since been completely rewritten.
“This ruling does not validate the abandoned ‘Super League’ project announced in 2021, nor does it undermine UEFA’s current authorisation rules, adopted in 2022 and updated in 2024, which remain fully in force,”
European football’s governing body said in a statement sent to AFP on Wednesday.
“These rules ensure that any cross-border competitions are assessed on objective, transparent, non-discriminatory, and proportionate criteria.”
Real Madrid said it was “delighted” by the ruling, “confirming that UEFA, in the matter of the Super League, seriously infringed the European Union’s free competition rules… by abusing its dominant position.”
“The club announces that it will continue to work for the good of global football and fans while claiming substantial damages from UEFA,” Real Madrid added in its statement.
Source Punch Ng
Posted October 31, 2025
You may also like...
Rodgers Hails Ndidi’s Impact In Win Over Liverpool...
Aymeric Laporte completes £23.6m move to Ronaldo’s Al...
Tyson Fury ordered to lose more weight ahead...
Musa, Ebi snubbed Osimhen, Oshoala at FIFA awards...
Erik ten Hag signs new deal at Manchester...
Sissoko Signs new four-year Tottenham contract until 2023...

Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother
Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney
First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor
Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp
Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu
Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday
NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands
Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ
NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,877 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,423 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,257 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,845 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,375 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)