Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal hits out at FIFA over staging World Cup in Qatar

By Daily Sports Nigeria on March 23, 2022

Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal criticises FIFA over 2022 Qatar World Cup - "Now, everybody knows that I find that ridiculous. It's ridiculous that we are going to play in a country - how does FIFA say it? - To develop the football there, to develop it better there. That is b******t."

Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal says it is "ridiculous" that this year's World Cup is being played in Qatar, accusing FIFA of taking the tournament to the Middle East for money and commercial reasons.

Van Gaal said FIFA's reasons for awarding the finals to Qatar, where his side will be competing in the November and December finals, were spurious.

"Now, everybody knows that I find that ridiculous," he told a news conference on Monday as his side began preparations for friendlies against Denmark and Germany.

"It's ridiculous that we are going to play in a country - how does FIFA say it? - To develop the football there, to develop it better there. That is b******t.

"And how are you doing that? By organising a tournament in that country. But it doesn't matter, it's about money, commercial interests. That's the main motive of FIFA.

"Why do you think that I'm not a member of the commission of FIFA? Because I have always taken my distance against these kinds of organisations. It's not right, but I can say this directly about Qatar, but this does not help the world get rid of this problem."

The friendlies form part of the Dutch preparations for the finals after they qualified last November.

Former Manchester United manager Van Gaal said he is part of a commission within the Dutch FA (KNVB) which meets every month to evaluate the ongoing situation in Qatar with regards to human rights.

The KNVB has been among the few football associations to criticise human rights and working conditions in Qatar.

"The KNVB has never been in favour of holding the World Cup in Qatar and of course certainly doesn't approve of the way in which migrant workers are treated there," it said in a statement last year after a visit to the country.

Qatar has faced international scrutiny over the treatment of workers ever since it won the rights in 2010 to host the first World Cup in the Middle East.

Qatar has said the reported deaths were within the expected range for the size and demographics of the population of the workers concerned, and that the mortality rate had consistently declined since 2010 due to health and safety reforms.

Source Sky Sports

Posted March 23, 2022


 

You may also like...
Eriksen’s late winner keeps Spurs’ hopes alive

Ozil ruled out of Arsenal-Liverpool showdown

NFF technical committee meet without Oliseh

Roma halt Napoli, opening title race

Onazi pays tribute to 'Legendary' Miroslav Klose

Mikel, Moses, Nwakaeme named in 23-man squad against...

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,320 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,490 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,474 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,075 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,060 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,057 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,874 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,420 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,531 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,134 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,572 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,994 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media