Nadal ‘Doesn’t Care’ If He’s Best Ever After Record 21st Slam

By Daily Sports on February 1, 2022

Rafael Nadal says he “doesn’t care much” if his record 21st Grand Slam title makes him the best men’s tennis player in history, after edging ahead of great rivals Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic with his thrilling Australian Open win.

The 35-year-old Spaniard roared back from two sets down to defeat Russian second seed Daniil Medvedev on Sunday in the final in Melbourne in what he called “the biggest comeback of my career”.

Having suffered a foot injury last year which left him wondering if he would even play again, Nadal’s stunning victory propelled him into the history books and left Federer and Djokovic trailing on 20 major crowns.

Federer was absent from Melbourne because of injury and the unvaccinated Djokovic was deported on the eve of the tournament after Australia cancelled his visa.

But Nadal does not intend to dwell for too long on the wider significance, even though “I know it’s a special number, 21”.

“I feel honoured, I feel lucky to achieve one more very special thing in my tennis career,” Nadal told reporters early on Monday morning, the match having spilled over into the next day.

“I don’t care much if I am the one or not the one, or the best of the history, not the best of the history.

“Honestly today I don’t care much. For me it’s about enjoying nights like today. That means everything for me.”

Nadal, whose second Australian Open title came 13 years after his first one, showed remarkable resilience against the younger Medvedev, who was touted as the favourite in the absence of defending champion Djokovic.

Nadal, whose brilliant career has been punctuated by injures, called the gruelling 2-6, 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 6-4, 7-5 win “a very emotional night”.

It was even more so because of his foot injury and having also been “very sick” with Covid after testing positive in December.

“For the last six months, I really fought a lot to try to be back on court,” said Nadal.

“Have been very, very tough moments… conversations, tough ones, because you don’t know if I was going to have the chance to be back on the tour.”

Nadal said he wanted to celebrate more at the end, but just did not have it in him.

“Even now I am destroyed, honestly, physically,” he said.

“I can’t think much, I can’t remember a lot of moments of the match,” added Nadal, who was so exhausted afterwards that he took a seat during the post-match announcements.

“The support of the crowd have been just huge. I got very emotional during the whole match.

“Even if I was super tired, I couldn’t celebrate with them as usual, but I feel it inside, all the support helped me a lot during the whole match.” (Channels)

•PHOTO: Nadal

Source Daily Sports

Posted February 1, 2022


 

You may also like...
Real Madrid score stoppage time Winner to make...

Arsenal’s Mkhitaryan to Miss Europa League Final against...

Floyd Mayweather deflates UFC rumours

Raphinha wants to retire at Barcelona after new...

Lagos SWAN Celebrates Its Chairman, Oladunni After Obtaining...

Real Madrid flop Jovic To Return To Eintracht...

 

Latest News Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,880 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,424 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,258 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,846 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,376 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,763 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media