By Daily Sports on November 10, 2021
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's future as Manchester United manager has been questioned by former United and England defender Rio Ferdinand, who called for the "baton to be handed over".
Solskjaer is under intense pressure following Saturday's home defeat by Manchester City and the 5-0 thrashing by Liverpool last month.
Speaking on his Vibe with Five YouTube show, Ferdinand said it might be time for the Norwegian to leave the Old Trafford club, adding he "would leave with his head held high".
"From where he came in to where he got us at the beginning of this season, I think it's positive," said Ferdinand.
Solskjaer has found himself under increased scrutiny after the 2-0 derby defeat, which came 13 days on from the humiliating 5-0 home loss to Liverpool.
United have picked up just four points from their past six league games and are sixth in the table, nine points behind leaders Chelsea.
With several United players away on international duty, Solskjaer has returned to Norway to spend a few days with his family, and it is understood he has given his non-international players some time off.
While there is still no indication from Old Trafford that a managerial change is imminent, Ferdinand says he is left "confused" when he watches Solskjaer's side.
"I look at our team every week and wonder what we are going to do, tactically," added the 43-year-old, who won six league titles in 12 years at United.
"I don't see any philosophy or an identity in the United way of playing, whatever that should be from the management. I sit here confused looking at the team.
"When you look at it like that with the summer transfer window we had, we were all sitting here excited, thinking 'this is where we're meant to be'.
"I go back to the point. Ole was brought in with the remit to get us back to a point, a moment where you think he's brought some foundation back. At the beginning of this season we were thinking 'yes, that's it'."
Ferdinand also admitted to having never been "fully convinced" of Solskjaer's ability to lead United back to the Premier League summit.
"I was always deep down a bit sceptical. Could he take us on to be champions? I wasn't sure, I wasn't fully convinced, but hoped he would be able to do that.
"But the showing with the squad he accumulated to the beginning of this season and what I've seen this season, I just feel that maybe it might be the time now for the baton to be handed over to someone else who can take us on."
'United living off history of when they were good'
Speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live's Monday Night Club, Chris Sutton said Solskjaer is being "outcoached and out-thought" by the "top guys" and the former Celtic striker believes there is nowhere for the Norwegian to hide this season after the club's summer outlay on Jadon Sancho, Raphael Varane and Cristiano Ronaldo.
"Manchester United are still living off the history of when they were a good team and that's the issue and there are no excuses, there is nowhere to hide this season," said Sutton.
"I like Ole, he's a nice bloke but he's being outcoached and out-thought by the top guys.
Sutton also criticised what he feels is a lack of ambition at United, claiming his former club Norwich City have shown more decisiveness by dismissing Daniel Farke after a poor start to the season.
"Norwich are more ambitious than Manchester United because at least they've been decisive," he added.
"Their expectation is to stay in the Premier League but they have made a change, rightly or wrongly, but Manchester United - what is the expectation, are they going to win something with the current manager and this squad? No, everyone can see that." (BBC)
•PHOTO: Embattled Manchester United Boss Solskjaer
Source Daily Sports
Posted November 10, 2021
You may also like...
Osimhen Stretchered Off In Agony After Suffering Wrist...
Kano Pillars Get French Coach
My Love for Enyimba Remains Forever — Uduma...
3SC capture Kadiri Ikhana
Akpeyi delighted to represent Nigeria
Super Eagles Set for Algeria as AFCON Final...

Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday
NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands
Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ
NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off
Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff
Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney
Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies
Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,571 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,875 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,423 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,257 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,126 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,844 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,374 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)