By Daily sports on June 3, 2021
Championship side Stoke City have activated their option to hand former Chelsea star John Obi Mikel a contract extension.
The 34-year-old teamed up with the Potters last summer after leaving Turkish Super Lig side Trabzonspor on a mutual agreement.
The midfielder delivered convincing performances during his debut season, featuring in 41 appearances across all competitions.
Stoke, satisfied with the midfielder’s showings, have extended his stay for a year as they hope to make another attempt to gain promotion next term.
“Contract extensions have been activated to retain the services of defender James Chester and midfielder John Obi Mikel,” read a statement from the club website.
Stoke manager Michael O’Neill had previously praised the midfielder for his scintillating showings hailing his signing as ‘brilliant’.
“I’ve just said to him in the dressing room that I hope we can get that player on loan from Chelsea again next season,” O'Neill told Stoke on Trent Live.
“You can see with performances like that why he was at Chelsea for such a length of time in his career. He’s been a top player who has won everything in the game.
“He’s been a brilliant signing. When we’re compact as a team we get the best of John. He’s very positive around the club, a lot of help for the young players and I’m delighted to have him.”
Mikel enjoyed a trophy-laden career at Chelsea, including winning the Champions League, Europa League and Premier League titles among others.
After leaving Stamford Bridge, he featured for Chinese Super League side Tianjin TEDA, Championship cub Middlesbrough before joining Trabzonspor in 2019.
He also had a great career with the Nigeria national team, winning the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations and three bronze medals among others.
He was also part of the team that won the 2016 Olympic Bronze medal and had 91 caps for the three-time African champions before his retirement. (Goal)
•PHOTO: Mikel Obi
Source Daily sports
Posted June 3, 2021
You may also like...
Eaglets held in pre-WAFU friendly
U-20 World Cup: Nigeria Failed to Prepare, Says...
New stars set to shine at $75,000 WTT...
Tyson Fury: I’m coming for you Deontay Wilder...
Former champion Otu, others progress at CBN tennis...
CAF Confederation Cup Quarter-Final: As Enyimba Go To...

Olayinka ready for Saudi journey
Why NSC picked Lagos to host intermediate games – DG
EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund
D’Tigress intensify World Cup prep in Spain
Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs
Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney
Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers
Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight
UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco
Why elite athletes use supplements — Report
No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,039 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,399 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,287 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,891 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,767 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,643 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,538 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,053 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,255 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,728 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,214 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,596 views)