By Daily Sports on April 30, 2020
Derby County’s first-team players, coaches, management and non-furloughed staff have accepted “substantial” wage deferrals to help negate the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Championship (second-tier) club has said.
British media reports said Derby captain Wayne Rooney was leading talks on behalf of his teammates against a proposal by the club to defer wages of players by 50% and the striker’s spokesperson had said he was not in a “wage war”.
Derby did not give figures but said players had voluntarily agreed a deferral “considerably more than has been reported in the media” and thanked Rooney for his support.
“First team players have voluntarily agreed a substantial deferral...Everyone has been fully committed to help and play their part,” Derby said in a statement
“The measures have been agreed as part of the ongoing work to protect the future of the club, our staff and the communities we serve, during these unprecedented times.
“The club would specifically like to thank Rooney and Curtis Davies, the Professional Footballers Association's club representative, for their help and support.”
Derby said players, coaches and staff also made financial donations to their Stay Safe. Stay Fit. Stay Connected campaign, while non-playing staff will volunteer at a local food hub.
Soccer in England was suspended indefinitely last month due to the outbreak, forcing several Premier League clubs to adopt measures to cut costs.
Sheffield United, Aston Villa, Southampton, West Ham United and Watford all announced wage deferrals for their players while Arsenal said their players and coaching staff would take a 12.5% pay cut.
Derby were 12th in the Championship when the season was suspended. (SuperSport)
•PHOTO: Derby players
Source Daily Sports
Posted April 30, 2020
You may also like...
Iheanacho returns to Leicester City training
Cyriel Dessers opts for Nigeria ahead Belgium, confident...
Giroud On Target As France Beat Stubborn Moldova...
Newcastle continue Push for 14-Year-Old, Ojo
Curtain Draws On Maltina School Games 2021 Bauchi...
Abia 2023 Elections: Ibere Clan Endorses Atiku, Ikonne,...

Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal
I’m going to school Paul – Joshua
EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown
Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,185 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,922 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,503 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,632 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,590 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)