By Daily Sports on April 23, 2020
Roger Federer says “now is the time” for the men’s and women’s governing bodies to merge while tennis is in limbo because of the coronavirus.
The 20-time Grand Slam champion floated the idea in a series of Twitter posts.
He said a merger of the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) and the men’s Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) “probably should have happened”.
“We can come out of this with two weakened bodies or one stronger body,” Federer said.
Last year WTA president Micky Lawler said it should be seriously discussed.
BBC Sport understands preliminary discussions have taken place between the two tours about greater collaboration in certain areas.
In a series of social media posts on Wednesday, Federer added: “I am not talking about merging competition on the court but merging the two governing bodies that oversee the men’s and women’s professional tours.
“It’s too confusing for the fans when there are different ranking systems, different logos, different websites, different tournament categories.”
American tennis legend Billie Jean King, one of the prime movers behind the founding of the WTA, said a merger “has long been my vision for tennis”.
“The WTA on its own was always Plan B,” added King. “I’m glad we are on the same page. Let’s make it happen.”
Spanish 19-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal added: “It would be great to get out of this world crisis with the union of men’s and women’s tennis in only one organisation.”
Reigning Wimbledon champion Simona Halep, two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova, Argentine Diego Schwartzman and two-time Grand Slam champion Garbine Muguruza are among the other high-profile tennis players to voice their agreement on social media. (BBC)
•PHOTO: Roger Federer
Source Daily Sports
Posted April 23, 2020
You may also like...
Giwa FC re-instated to NPFL
Okoye: Travails of an Eagle
Ex-Super Falcons Star Chiejine, Ghana’s Junior Agogo Dead...
Guardiola Ready To Back Players In Racism Walk-Off...
Lo Celso laments Argentina defeat
Ronaldo slammed with five-match ban

NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off
Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff
Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney
Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies
Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot
Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory
Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest
W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,567 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,874 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,786 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,421 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,256 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,124 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,671 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,842 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,371 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,761 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,232 views)