Mikel Rules Out Trabzonspor Return

By Daily Sports on March 20, 2020

John Obi Mikel says he has no plans to return to Trabzonspor after walking out on the club over their handling of the coronavirus situation.

The former Nigeria international posted on Instagram last week, making his views clear that Turkish football should not be continuing as Covid-19 spreads.

Mikel had since had his contract at the club cancelled, and returned to his family home near his former club, Chelsea.

“They [the club] were really upset about the whole thing,” Mikel told The Athletic.

“I was told to meet with the president in his office one-on-one. He asked me to take [the post] down. I told him I wasn’t going to do that.

“It’s my opinion. This is how I feel. We live in a free world. I have freedom of speech. I can express my opinion.

“I wanted to win the league too but at this point in time we have to think about what is more important: to save peoples’ lives.

“I want to help in any way that I can to defeat this virus. For us to be out there playing; I don’t think we are helping the global situation. I don’t feel it is right for us to play football.

“UEFA have postponed football. How come they are still playing in Turkey? It’s not right at all. But Trabzonspor were not having it – for me, they don’t care.”

Mikel also says his family were key in his decision to return to England. His wife and twin daughters had remained there while he played in Turkey, having joined from a spell in the Championship with Middlesbrough in the summer of 2019.

“I explained to the club that I needed to see and be with my kids,” he added.

“They were calling me every single morning, crying on the phone, wondering why their friends were not coming over for playdates, why they can’t touch anyone on the street.

“I knew if I came home, they’d be relaxed because they’d then know Daddy was home.

“I told the club, ‘OK, if that’s what you’re saying, I’m ready to give up my contract. To be with my family, to help the world to do the right thing – everybody needs to stay at home at this point in time.’

“Go back to Trabzonspor? No chance.

“Not with the way they have dealt with this situation.

“We have to look at ourselves sometimes in life and ask what is more important? Who do I want to be friends with? When I’m in trouble, who is going to look after me?

“And, the way they have dealt with this, I don’t see myself going back to Trabzonspor again.” (Goal)

•PHOTO: Mikel Obi

Source Daily Sports

Posted March 20, 2020


 

You may also like...
Oshoala On Target For Barcelona Against Real Madrid...

Fall of an empire: How Barca were kicked...

Boniface, Tella strike fear in De Rossi

Bayern Munich Held By Arminia Bielefeld In Six-goal...

Ikorodu United, 10-man MFM battle to a stalemate...

ABS Unveils Foreign Coach As New Technical Adviser...

 

Latest News Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,880 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,788 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,425 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,258 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,673 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,846 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,376 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,763 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media