By Daily Sports on December 25, 2019
Tottenham Hotspur have failed with their appeal against Son Heung-min’s red card, the Football Association announced on Tuesday.
The South Korean winger saw red in the second half of Spurs’ 2-0 loss at home to Chelsea in a spiteful London derby on Sunday after VAR confirmed he had kicked out at Blues defender Antonio Rudiger after being fouled.
Tottenham launched an appeal but the FA upheld his red card, meaning Son will now serve a three-game ban ruling him out of the matches at home to Brighton on Boxing Day, and at Norwich and Southampton on Saturday and New Year’s Day respectively.
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho was unhappy with Rudiger’s reaction in the build-up to Son’s dismissal, saying he should “stand up and play man” but Blues boss Frank Lampard defended his player’s conduct on Tuesday.
“It (the sending off) wasn’t brutal but it was instinctive that warrants a red card in the modern day,” said former England midfielder Lampard, who played under Mourinho when the Portuguese was in charge of Chelsea.
“It was pretty clear that was the case. I wouldn’t question Toni’s integrity on that.”
Meanwhile Tottenham said they had banned a supporter for throwing a cup at Chelsea’s Kepa Arrizabalaga, one of several worrying incidents that overshadowed the on-field action, with both Rudiger and Son reportedly on the receiving end of racist abuse.
Spurs said on Monday their investigation into the monkey chants directed at Rudiger had so far proved inconclusive but a day later they were able to act against the fan who attacked Blues keeper Arrizabalaga.
“We can confirm that we have identified and issued an immediate ban to the individual responsible for throwing a cup at Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga during Sunday’s Premier League home fixture,” said a Spurs statement.
“We shall continue to take the strongest action possible against anyone found to be behaving in this way.” (SuperSport)
•PHOTO: Heung Min Son
Source Daily Sports
Posted December 25, 2019
You may also like...
Dambe: How an ancient form of Nigerian boxing...
Arsenal Boss Arteta Delighted With Opening Day Win...
Spurs Must Take Blame For Kane’s Struggles —...
Sports Minister Confirms 2019/20 NPFL Kick-Off Date
Everton blocked Iwobi exit
Fred Hands Rangnick First Man Utd Win Against...

Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal
I’m going to school Paul – Joshua
EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown
Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,186 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,922 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,505 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,633 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)