By Daily Sports on December 25, 2015
Fallen FIFA Vice President Eugenio Figueredo was jailed pending trial in his native Uruguay Thursday after being extradited from Switzerland to answer charges in the massive corruption scandal roiling international football.
Figueredo, the former president of South American confederation CONMEBOL, arrived Thursday morning and was taken directly to an initial court appearance, where he was remanded in custody, court sources told AFP.
But Judge Adriana de los Santos may still grant him house arrest, as his lawyer has requested, the sources said.
Figueredo faces two to 15 years in prison if convicted.
The 83-year-old ex-football boss was one of seven top FIFA officials arrested at a Zurich luxury hotel in May, a raid that kicked off an unprecedented crisis at world football’s governing body.
The United States, which led the investigation, is also seeking to extradite Figueredo on charges of soliciting multi-million-dollar bribes from sports marketing firms.
Figueredo had agreed to be sent to Uruguay but is fighting extradition to the United States.
The Swiss justice ministry (FOJ) had approved his extradition to both countries, and said in November it would be up to the United States to decide whether to let Uruguay have priority.
“If the US authorities do not agree, the issue will be decided by the FOJ,” it said at the time.
Figueredo’s lawyer has said her client is in poor health and should be granted house arrest because of his age.
Figueredo was head of the Uruguayan Football Association from 1997 to 2006 and became CONMEBOL president in 2013.
CONMEBOL’s last three presidents have all been arrested in the scandal, plunging the South American confederation into crisis.
At Fifa, the spiraling scandal took a dramatic new turn last week when the organisation banned disgraced president Sepp Blatter from football for eight years over ethics violations. (AFP)
•Photo shows fallen FIFA Vice President Eugenio Figueredo.
Source Daily Sports
Posted December 25, 2015
You may also like...
NBA approves three rules changes for the 2018-19...
CHAN 2016: We are yet to receive a...
Ex-sports minister urges FG not to scrap NSC...
US Open 2017: Nadal sets up semi-final clash...
Bremen Snatch Playoff Survival Chance, Bayern Rout Wolfsburg...
Boxer Adrian Bonner releases video criticizing rapper Kane...

Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal
I’m going to school Paul – Joshua
EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown
Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,186 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,922 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,505 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,633 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)