By Daily Sports on March 19, 2019
Italy coach Roberto Mancini said on Monday he overlooked Mario Balotelli for upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers because the Marseille player lacked fitness.
Italy begin their campaign to reach the European finals playing Finland on Saturday in Udine after they failed to qualify for the World Cup last year for the first time in 60 years.
Balotelli’s positive start at Marseille with five goals in seven starts has not convinced Mancini, nor has the performance of Andrea Belotti, 25, who has scored ten league goals for Torino.
“Mario is not yet in optimal condition to play for the national team,” Mancini.
“He has improved physically compared to September but can still improve. From him I expect a lot, he’s nearly 29 years-old, he’s at his peak, and for the national team he must give the maximum.”
Italy also play Liechtenstein in Parma on March 26.
“The beauty of the national team is that everyone can express their opinion,” said former Manchester City coach of his decision to overlook the two forwards.
“I make my choices, Belotti is like the others who have stayed at home this time, he can do much better and return to the national team. He is young, he is improving in the league, he will surely be able to come back.”
Veteran striker Fabio Quagliarella was recalled at 36 years as he leads the Serie A goal scorers chart with 21 efforts in 28 games.
The group also includes promising youngsters Roma midfielder Nicolo Zaniolo and Juventus striker Moise Kean, both aged 19. (SuperSport)
•Photo shows Mario Balotelli
Source Daily Sports
Posted March 19, 2019
You may also like...
Arteta defends Bernd Leno After Late blunder Against...
Nnadozie gets hero’s welcome at Brighton
Napoli crush Cagliari 5-0
FC Ifeanyi Ubah bounce back from show of...
Frappart To Be First Female Official At Euros...
Irex Sports Bar Ready to Produce the Next...

Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother
Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney
First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor
Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp
Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu
Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday
NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands
Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ
NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,880 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,424 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,258 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,673 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,846 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,376 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,763 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)