By Daily Sports Nigeria on June 27, 2025
Cristiano Ronaldo has signed a new two-year contract with Al-Nassr that means he will stay with the Saudi Pro League club until beyond his 42nd birthday.
The Portugal captain, 40, joined the Riyadh-based team in December 2022 after leaving Manchester United in acrimonious circumstances, having criticised the club and said he had "no respect" for manager Erik ten Hag.
Ronaldo's Al-Nassr deal had been due to expire at the end of June and there was speculation he could leave, but that has now been quashed.
In a post on X, Ronaldo wrote: "A new chapter begins. Same passion, same dream. Let's make history together."
Although Al-Nassr have not added to their nine domestic titles during Ronaldo's time at the club, they have benefited from a flood of goals from the five-time Ballon d'Or winner.
Ronaldo scored 35 times in 41 matches across all competitions last term and was the league's top scorer for a second consecutive season.
He has managed 99 goals in 111 appearances overall for Al-Nassr and is well on his way to reaching 1,000 senior goals in his career, with a current tally of 938 for club and country.
Having helped Portugal win the Uefa Nations League a little over two weeks ago, the former Manchester United, Real Madrid, Sporting and Juventus forward will almost certainly now be targeting a sixth World Cup appearance next summer.
Only a month ago, Ronaldo posted on social media to say "the chapter is over".
That came after the Saudi Pro League wrapped up with Al-Nassr finishing third and trophyless once again.
The comment fuelled rumours that Ronaldo was ready to leave the league where he reportedly became the best-paid player in football history with an annual salary of £177m when he joined.
Fifa president Gianni Infantino raised the prospect of Ronaldo joining a team involved in the Club World Cup after Al-Nassr failed to qualify for the extended tournament which is being held in the United States.
Ronaldo said he had received offers from participating teams but had turned them down.
The decision to stay until at least 2027, which is certain to be highly lucrative, appears to rule out any future prospect of Ronaldo returning to play at the highest level in Europe.
It remains to be seen who will be leading the first team at Al-Nassr going forward, after former AC Milan head coach Stefano Pioli left the club this week.
Source BBC Sports
Posted June 27, 2025
You may also like...
NPFL Round-up: Remo Extend Rnbeaten Run As Pillars...
Netherlands Beat England to Reach Nations League Final...
Paul Pogba: No problems with France star, says...
Hazard Takes On Ronaldo’s No. 7 Shirt at...
Osimhen, Boniface net again
Man City To Hand Dias Massive New Contract...

Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward
Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins
Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset
Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup
Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback
Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure
Agege LG boss kicks off 2026 Obasa Summer Games
Super Falcons miss first Women’s World Cup after 2-1 S’Africa loss
Joshua, Fury fight hits stumbling block
Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss
Katsina United clarifies Ozor’s death report
SWAN Congratulates New Anambra CP Ama On Assumption Of Duty
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,029 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,387 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,276 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,877 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,756 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,631 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,525 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,036 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,246 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,716 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,203 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)