By Daily Sports Nigeria on May 28, 2025
Novak Djokovic began his latest bid for a record-breaking 25th Grand Slam singles title with a commanding win over Mackenzie McDonald.
The former world number one ended his wait for his 100th ATP singles title in Geneva last week and maintained his recent upturn in form with a 6-3 6-3 6-3 win over the 98th-ranked American.
Djokovic - who turned 38 last week - has now won all 21 of the first-round matches he has played at Roland Garros.
Sixth seed Djokovic will next play Corentin Moutet, who beat fellow Frenchman Clement Tabur in straight sets in the first round.
Djokovic arrived in Geneva without a win on clay in 2025, having suffered first-round exits in both Monte Carlo and Madrid.
But with his wait for a 100th Tour-level title finally over - one which had gone on since he completed the career 'Golden Slam' at the Paris Olympics last summer - the Serb will feel he is beginning to gain real momentum on this surface.
The one-sided victory over McDonald, completed two minutes short of the two-hour mark, was his fifth successive win following a run of three straight losses.
After that unfamiliar slump in results, Djokovic took the decision to end his six-month partnership with coach and former rival Andy Murray, who he said joked this week that he was winning tournaments now he had "a proper coach".
Asked about his last-minute decision to compete in Geneva, Djokovic said: "I think it was a good move, to be honest, because I was struggling a little bit with [my] confidence level, doubting my game a bit.
"It was good that I got four matches under my belt, won a title.
"Coming into Roland Garros, it feels different than compared to the feeling I had three weeks ago.
"Let's see how far I can go, but I have a good feeling for now."
Djokovic faces a tough route to the trophy. He is projected to meet third seed Alexander Zverev in the quarter-finals, world number one Jannik Sinner in the last four and defending champion Carlos Alcaraz in the final.
But it is ultimately that pursuit which continues to drive him on in the twilight of his career, with one last record - surpassing Margaret Court for the outright number of Grand Slam singles titles - still left to break.
Djokovic lost serve just once in his first match on Court Philippe Chatrier since his Olympic triumph, hitting 32 winners compared to just 20 unforced errors.
Elsewhere on Tuesday, Germany's Zverev beat American Learner Tien 6-3 6-3 6-4, and Britain's world number five Jack Draper came back to win 3-6 6-1 6-4 6-2 against Italy's Mattia Bellucci.
Britain's Cameron Norrie could face Djokovic in the fourth round after stunning Russian 11th seed Daniil Medvedev 7-5 6-3 4-6 1-6 7-5.
Australian ninth seed Alex De Minaur was another winner, beating Serb Laslo Djere 6-3 6-4 7-6 (8-6).
Russian 17th seed Andrey Rublev won 6-4 4-6 6-3 6-1 against South Africa's Lloyd Harris, while Czech 19th seed Jakub Mensik, who beat Djokovic in the Miami Open final in March, beat Frenchman Alexandre Muller 7-5 6-7 (5-7) 7-5 6-3.
Sixteenth seed Grigor Dimitrov retired from his match with American Ethan Quinn while leading 6-2 6-3 2-6. The Bulgarian received treatment on his left thigh in the second set and his movement was hindered throughout the third.
Italian Matteo Arnaldi came from two sets down to beat Canadian 29th seed Felix Auger-Aliassime 5-7 2-6 6-3 6-4 6-2, and 30th seed Hubert Hurkacz of Poland was beaten 6-2 6-4 6-2 by Brazilian Joao Fonseca.
Source BBC Sports
Posted May 28, 2025
You may also like...
Under-Pressure Solskjaer Ready To ‘Fight Back’
‘I hope Antonio Conte LEAVES Chelsea’: Blues boss...
Finidi: Enyimba Will Beef Up Squad For CAF...
Liverpool Inflict Heavy Defeat On Porto
Benzema Not Upset After Ballon d’Or Snub-Ancelotti
Messi Ruled Out of Betis Clash after Missing...

Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward
Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins
Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset
Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup
Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback
Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure
Agege LG boss kicks off 2026 Obasa Summer Games
Super Falcons miss first Women’s World Cup after 2-1 S’Africa loss
Joshua, Fury fight hits stumbling block
Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss
Katsina United clarifies Ozor’s death report
SWAN Congratulates New Anambra CP Ama On Assumption Of Duty
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,029 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,387 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,277 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,877 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,756 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,631 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,526 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,036 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,246 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,717 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,203 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)