Opponents no longer scared of Man City - Guardiola

By Daily Sports Nigeria on January 25, 2025

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says teams are prepared to take his side on in a manner they did not previously, which will cost City a Champions League spot if he cannot find a solution.

Guardiola did not quite say City, who face Chelsea at home on Saturday, had completely lost their 'fear factor'.

However, as he assessed a torrid season he zeroed in on a change in approach that indicates opponents are not intimidated the way they once were, with teams pressing his side more.

"Everyone came to the Etihad and stayed back," he said. "The first team I saw man-marking was Neil Warnock at Cardiff. Now everyone does it. Everyone comes here, it doesn't matter, man to man.

"They just jump to Ederson or Stefan [Ortega]. You have to adapt, do it better with the ball, otherwise you are not qualifying for the Champions League."

City are currently fifth in the Premier League - 12 points off leaders Liverpool. Towards the end of 2024 they won only one game out of 13 and now find themselves having to beat Club Brugge on Wednesday just to claim a Champions League play-off place following this week's defeat by Paris St-Germain.

Although City have £123m-worth of new talent available for the Premier League encounter with Chelsea, Guardiola does not believe that alone will solve his problems.

He dismissed those who focus on running statistics as evidence of whether a team is performing to its maximum or not, instead pointing out his side have not used the ball well enough.

"Speed is important but against PSG we ran more than them," he said. "Our problem is with the ball. This season it is what we have missed.

"If you have the ball and don't pass properly to your mate, everything is so difficult."

When City won 2-0 at Stamford Bridge on the opening weekend of the season, few would have predicted by the time the return meeting came around that Chelsea would be higher in the table and Guardiola's team would be just a point in front of Bournemouth.

Guardiola believes qualification for next season's Champions League would be like winning a trophy, given the injuries that cost him the services of Ballon d'Or winner Rodri and leave him with one fit central defender this weekend, excluding new additions Vitor Reis and Abdukodir Khusanov.

He also said there was merit in Jose Mourinho's famous claim that finishing second behind City with Manchester United in 2017-18 was one of the greatest achievements of his career.

"There are seasons when there are a lot of difficulties," Guardiola said. "How do you stand up? How do you stay there?

"I remember Jose. I don't know the reality of United but he said many times finishing second in that season was his biggest success. I understand completely."

Source BBC Sports

Posted January 25, 2025


 

You may also like...
Casillas To Run For President of Spanish Football...

Spurs, Leicester City Battle For Supremacy In Premier...

Lukaku Fire Chelsea Past Zenit At Stamford Bridge...

Footbal World Celebrates Iwobi At 24

'Always in my mind to start' - Slot...

Hummels, Witsel Set For Return In Bayern Clash...

 

Latest News Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure Agege LG boss kicks off 2026 Obasa Summer Games Super Falcons miss first Women’s World Cup after 2-1 S’Africa loss Joshua, Fury fight hits stumbling block Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss Katsina United clarifies Ozor’s death report SWAN Congratulates New Anambra CP Ama On Assumption Of Duty

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,030 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,387 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,277 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,877 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,756 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,632 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,526 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,036 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,246 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,717 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,203 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media