Why Emery Will Reject Newcastle: Sources

By Daily Sports on November 3, 2021

Unai Emery will turn down the chance to become manager of Newcastle United and will instead stay with Villarreal, reports Guillem Balague.

The former Arsenal boss confirmed on Tuesday he had been approached by the Premier League club, who made him their first choice to replace Steve Bruce.

Sources close to Emery indicate he felt the new Magpies ownership lacked a clear vision for the club.

Newcastle had hoped to have the Spaniard in place by the weekend.

But Spanish football expert Balague says those advising Emery were left feeling uncertain about the club's strategy, with stories in England emerging that the shortlist was down to him and ex-Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe - two men with contrasting approaches and vastly different levels of experience within European football.

"Emery felt a huge pressure on the day of their match [a 2-0 win over Young Boys in the Champions League on Tuesday]," said Balague.

"And then there was the lack of a clear vision from the club. If you want him, do you approach him in such a rushed way, without an official offer and with it coming out from the English side that it is all practically done?

"I don't see this move happening now this season. Maybe next year when the club's structure is clearer and the vision more defined."

Emery, 50, was interested in taking charge of Newcastle following the Saudi Arabia-backed £305m takeover which has made them one of the richest clubs in world football.

But when he met with Villarreal's owners, the Roig family, they attempted to convince him to stay. The club's players did likewise and his family also told him it was not the right time to move to St James' Park.

As well as talking to Howe, Newcastle have also held discussions with former Roma manager Paulo Fonseca.

Balague reports the Magpies have previously made approaches for new Tottenham manager Antonio Conte, Barcelona legend Xavi and ex-Germany manager Joachim Low but all have turned the opportunity down.

In a news conference on Tuesday, Villarreal president Fernando Roig said he was not worried about the interest in Emery and was "sure that his mind is not drifting elsewhere".

"Unai has a contract with us and contracts are there to be fulfilled," Roig said. "We hope that we will be able to see that contract through until the end. I have no doubts about his professionalism in that respect."

Emery led Villarreal to the Europa League title last season, beating Manchester United on penalties in the final in May.

Before his appointment at the Spanish club, he had an 18-month spell in charge of Arsenal before being sacked in November 2019.

In three years at Sevilla from 2013-16 he claimed three successive Europa League titles and then took over at Paris St-Germain, where he won Ligue 1 and two French Cups.

Two wins from their opening 11 games means Villarreal are 13th in La Liga but Tuesday's victory over Young Boys moved them level on points with Manchester United at the top of Champions League Group F and in a strong position to reach the last 16.

Emery's decision leaves Newcastle's manager search entering a third week, having parted ways with Bruce by mutual consent on 20 October. Interim boss Graeme Jones took charge of the team for the last two matches, a 1-1 draw at Crystal Palace and subsequent 3-0 home defeat by Chelsea. (BBC)

•PHOTO: Coach Unai Emery

Source Daily Sports

Posted November 3, 2021


 

You may also like...
Chelsea Complete €45m Kovacic Signing

Inzaghi Targets UCL Improvement For Inter Milan

Man Utd Favourites To Land Real Madrid Defender...

Torino 'rejected £56m Arsenal bid for Andrea Belotti'...

Mikel’s 2018 World Cup jersey added to Fifa...

Arserne Wenger and Jose Mourinho betrayed their identity...

 

Latest News Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60 Ikogosi Road Race returns Oct 31 ‘That goal changed my life,’ Okocha recalls iconic solo strike against Oliver Kahn WAFCON: Ajibade insists Falcons gave everything Dolphins begin WBPL title defence with 59-46 win Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,035 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,391 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,282 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,882 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,760 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,636 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,534 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,043 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,252 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,721 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,207 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,585 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media