Maria Sharapova Pulls Out of French Open

By Daily Sports on May 16, 2019

Former French Open champion Maria Sharapova has withdrawn from this year’s tournament because of her long-standing shoulder problem.

The 32-year-old world number 35 has not played since pulling out of an event in her native Russia at the end of January and had a small operation in February.

“Sometimes the right decisions aren't always the easiest ones,” the five-time Grand Slam winner said.

This year’s French Open begins on 26 May and runs to 9 June.

Sharapova, who won the French title in 2012 and 2014, returned to the tour in April 2017 after a 15-month ban for taking the banned drug meldonium.

She reached the French Open quarter-finals last year, losing 6-2 6-1 to third seed Garbine Muguruza.

In the opening Grand Slam of this year, the Russian lost to Australia's Ashleigh Barty in the round of 16.

“In better news, I have returned to the practice court, and slowly building the strength back in my shoulder,” she posted on her Instagram account, alongside a picture of her lifting the Roland Garros trophy in 2014. (BBC)

•Photo shows Maria Sharapova 

Source Daily Sports

Posted May 16, 2019


 

You may also like...
Why we lost 1-5 to Bayern Munich in...

Man Utd Unhappy With ‘Shocking’ CR7 Transfer Request...

Nigeria, S/Africa to bid for 2025 World Athletics...

Balotelli To Join Adana Demirspor, Says Club Chairman...

Aribo withdraws from Nigeria’s friendlies to rest after...

Christian Chukwu Hails Eguaveon For Bringing Out Eagles...

 

Latest News Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco Why elite athletes use supplements — Report No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo Falcons to get new coach before Olympic qualifier Okocha bemoans Eagles’ lack of home ground Ajayi set for Silesia Diamond League showdown Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,037 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,396 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,286 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,888 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,765 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,640 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,537 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,049 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,253 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,726 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,211 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,592 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media