Joshua stops Takam in round 10, keeps IBF, WBA titles

By Daily Sports on October 29, 2017

Anthony Joshua successfully defended his WBA and IBF world heavyweight titles after stopping mandatory challenger Carlos Takam with a controversial 10th-round stoppage at a raucous Principality Stadium.

Joshua, 28, damaged his nose after a heavy head collision early on and did not have things all his own way against a fighter who took the bout at 12 days' notice.

But in a key fourth round in which both men enjoyed success, Joshua dropped his man with a hook and badly damaged the eye of his rival.

Takam was twice inspected by ringside medics but battled on until he was overwhelmed in the 10th, when referee Phil Edwards stepped in to end the contest, much to the challenger's frustration.

Takam, 36, was under pressure but not out on his feet and some inside the Cardiff venue booed the stoppage.

The crowd in Wales clearly felt the decision to stop the fight was premature, but Joshua said he has "no interest" in what the officials do.

"I come to fight, I don't sit on the edge and make decisions," he said. "It was a good fight until the ref stopped it, so I have the utmost respect for Takam.

"I have no interest in what is going on with the officials, that's not my job. I think people want to see Takam unconscious on the floor, and that's what I was trying to get to."

Watford fighter Joshua said his nose had been badly swollen by Takam when the pair clashed heads in the second round.

"I had to keep my cool," added Joshua. "I've got a few months to heal it up. I'll go and see some good doctors to crack it back in place.

"If I showed any signs of weakness, the ref could have jumped in. That's what he (Takam) tried to do, but the ref stopped it."

However, Takam who took on Joshua on a 12-day notice said: "I want a rematch, I made my preparations with 12 days to fight Anthony. I want to box him again. I want him, he is a great champion."

•Photo shows Joshua and Takam in their title bout on Saturday.

Source Daily Sports

Posted October 29, 2017


 

You may also like...
Colombian players get death threats after losing penalty...

Nigerian stars abroad to watch in action this...

Salomon Kalou: Future of Ivorian football, bright

I want to fight Fury, Wilder — Joshua...

AFCON 2021 blunder still hurts – Okoye

Yusuf invites Buhari, 29 others to U.S. for...

 

Latest News Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos Akwa governor almost stopped Uyo pitch maintenance – Gusau Ezechukwu eyes double gold in African Champs

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,782 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,102 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,041 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,625 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,543 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,444 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,839 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,027 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,525 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,948 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,399 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media