By Daily Sports on September 29, 2017
Coach Carlos Ancelotti has been relieved as Bayern Munich coach in the wake of their Champions League defeat at the hands of Paris Saint-Germain, the club announced on Thursday.
"FC Bayern Munich have parted company with head coach Carlo Ancelotti as a result of internal discussions following the 3-0 defeat in the Champions League group stage match at Paris Saint-Germain," Bayern said in a statement on their website.
Former player Willy Sagnol, the ex-France international who had been serving as an assistant to Ancelotti, has been named interim coach. The 40-year-old has previously coached Bordeaux in his homeland.
But Bayern have also parted company with four Italian members of Ancelotti's backroom staff, including his son Davide.
Pressure had already been building on Ancelotti, 58, with Bayern enduring an inconsistent start to the season before losing 3-0 to PSG in the French capital on Wednesday.
After that game the Italian was questioned by German media about his tactics and team selection, following his decision to leave Franck Ribery, Arjen Robben and Mats Hummels on the bench at kick-off.
"The performance of our team since the start of the season did not meet the expectations we put to them," said Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.
"The game in Paris clearly showed that we had to draw consequences. (Sporting director) Hasan Salihamidzic and I had an open and serious discussion with Carlo today and informed him of our decision.
"Carlo is my friend and will remain so, but we had to make a professional decision in the interests of FC Bayern. I now expect the team to have a positive development and top performance, so we can reach our goals for this season."
The defeat in Paris was Bayern's heaviest since losing 3-0 away to Barcelona in the Champions League semifinal first leg in May 2015. © AFP
•Photo shows Carlos Anchelotti.
Source Daily Sports
Posted September 29, 2017
You may also like...
Peseiro in Qatar to analyse African teams
Osaka May Defy Doctor’s Orders to defend U.S....
Ezenwa douses goalkeeping crisis against Cameroon
8 die in stadium stampede
JOF U-13 Cup Championship Hots Up Across Centres...
Fati Leaves Pitch In Tears As Barcelona Crash...

Falcons to get new coach before Olympic qualifier
Okocha bemoans Eagles’ lack of home ground
Ajayi set for Silesia Diamond League showdown
Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move
Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60
Ikogosi Road Race returns Oct 31
WAFCON: Ajibade insists Falcons gave everything
Dolphins begin WBPL title defence with 59-46 win
Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward
Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins
Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,035 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,391 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,283 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,884 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,760 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,637 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,534 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,046 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,252 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,723 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,207 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,586 views)