By Daily Sports on January 14, 2017
Former tennis world number one Rafael Nadal said Friday that US President-elect Donald Trump was not quite to his taste while lamenting Spanish politics has also, in his view, become too razzmatazz.
“It’s not my style. I was in the United States when Trump was on the campaign trail,” Nadal told Spanish online site El Espanol as he limbered up for the Australian Open.
“It is true that I don’t care for his manner of speaking — his way of expressing himself is not a style I appreciate,” added Nadal, while conceding he was no expert on the US political scene.
“Also, I’ll be honest — the other option didn’t do much for me either,” added the Spaniard in allusion to defeated Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.
Nadal consoled himself with the thought that in a globalised world Trump would not necessarily be able to have things all his own way.
The Mallorcan winner of 14 Grand Slam singles titles was more guarded in his assessment of the incoming president than actress Meryl Streep, who earlier this week used the Golden Globes ceremony to blast Trump.
Nadal did criticise a Spanish political establishment left in virtual paralysis for much of last year after inconclusive December 2015 elections before conservative leader Mariano Rajoy was sworn in to head a new minority government.
“Everything is turning into a show — and Spain is not a show. Spain is a country, our present and our future,” the 30-year-old said, indicating he believed supporters of different strands of political opinion should reach out for the good of the nation.
Nadal, whose season was plagued by a wrist injury last season, said he was ready for the Australian Open which starts on Monday.
“I feel good today,” said Nadal, currently ranked ninth, adding that if he could stay fit he could get back to competing with the best.
Nadal’s preparations were hit in terms of match fitness at least when he lost to Milos Raonic in the quarter-finals in Brisbane after first winning an exhibition event in Abu Dhabi.
“Injuries or no injuries I’ve had a fantastic career to date — but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to improve. Of course I do,” he concluded. (NAN)
•Photo shows Rafael Nadal
Source Daily Sports
Posted January 14, 2017
You may also like...
Don’t dash Nigerians’ hopes, Emenike tells Eagles
How Nigeria Can Beat South Africa — Tijani...
Virgil Hunter offers to train Kovalev
I’m a born United fan – Uche Jombo...
Barcelona Announce Signing Of Ferran Torres From Manchester...
Legendary Goalkeeper Petr Cech Signs For Ice Hockey...

Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale
NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege
FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off
Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials
Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen
Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket
LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos
Akwa governor almost stopped Uyo pitch maintenance – Gusau
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,785 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,104 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,058 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,627 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,545 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,446 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,842 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,028 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,526 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,953 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,400 views)