Nigeria to drop 'misfiring' Odion Ighalo

By Daily Sports on November 19, 2016

Watford striker Odion Ighalo has failed to impress Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr and he could subsequently be replaced by younger strikers Olanrewaju Kayode and Victor Osimhen in the Super Eagles.

Team officials said Ighalo will be dropped permanently from the Super Eagles as he has scored just one goal after 11 weeks of action in the Premier League in England, added to the fact that he has only scored one goal for the Super Eagles in a competitive match.

That goal came in a 2017 AFCON qualifier against Chad in Kaduna in June 2015.

If Kayode Olanrewaju, who has been prolific so far for Austria Wien in all competitions this season, and Victor Osimhen, who is soon to sign a professional deal with Bundesliga side Wolfsburg shone against Egypt in Dubai in a friendly in January,  that could well spell the end of Ighalo’s time in the national team.

Rohr has already said he was so impressed with the performance of Osimhen in the build-up to the Tanzania match and will offer him another opportunity to show he were ready for the big stage.

“Rohr has not been impressed with the performance of Odion Ighalo and Brown Ideye,” revealed a team official.

“Against Tanzania, Ighalo was wasteful and hardly had two shots on goal, while against Zambia, Ideye was full of endeavour, while others were scoring the goals. On both occasions it took the efforts of supporting strikers for the Eagles to claim maximum points. “

A disappointed Rohr will then consign both Ighalo and Ideye to the bench for the entire 90 minutes as the Super Eagles beat Algeria 3-1 in Uyo last weekend. (mtnfootball.com)

•Photo shows  Odion Ighalo

Source Daily Sports

Posted November 18, 2016


 

You may also like...
Spain Set To Play Final In Olympics Football...

Striker Gift Evbomwan Turning Heads for Nigeria Under-16...

Ijebu Ode Club members call for T’Tennis development...

Defoe not for sale – Moyes

USA Gymnastics files for bankruptcy as sex abuse...

Team Nigeria Finishes 74th On Tokyo 2020 Olympics...

 

Latest News NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027 Rivers United won’t make last season’s mistake – Finidi Ocheme closes in on PFL Africa crown Oyede names Piety, Agboya, others for World Cup qualifiers Nigeria storm India for Commonwealth Weightlifting Championship Oshoala’s Bay FC set NWSL stadium record

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,310 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,478 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,467 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,065 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,047 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,046 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,860 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,411 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,517 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,125 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,560 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,983 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media