By Daily Sports Nigeria on March 27, 2026
Senegal coach Pape Thiaw insisted Friday that “trophies are won on the pitch” when asked about the decision to strip his team of the Africa Cup of Nations title and declare Morocco the champions.
“I am focused on my job. It is important to not be distracted. Everyone knows we are the champions of Africa,” Thiaw told reporters at a press conference in Paris, ahead of his team’s friendly meeting with Peru on Saturday at the Stade de France.
“We are going to keep working hard to try to win more trophies. It is clear in our minds that trophies are won on the pitch.”
Saturday’s game is part of Senegal’s preparations for the upcoming World Cup, when they will play France, Norway and the winner of a play-off between Bolivia and Iraq in the group stage in the United States.
The Peru match will also be their first outing since the Cup of Nations final against Morocco in Rabat on January 18.
Senegal won 1-0 thanks to Pape Gueye’s extra-time goal, but the occasion was marred by chaotic scenes at the end of normal time when many of Thiaw’s players walked off the pitch in protest at the decision to award Morocco a penalty with the score still goalless.
Some Senegalese supporters also attempted a pitch invasion, and the game was held up for almost 20 minutes before the Senegal players returned.
Brahim Diaz, who was adjudged to have been fouled for the penalty, then had his weak spot-kick saved, allowing Senegal to go on and win in extra time, with the hosts stunned.
However, Senegal were sensationally stripped of the title last week, when the Confederation of African Football announced that it had upheld an appeal by the Moroccan Football Federation, saying that the champions had infringed tournament regulations by walking off.
As a result, it declared that Senegal had forfeited the match, turning its 1-0 victory into a 3-0 defeat, making Morocco the champions instead.
On Wednesday, Senegal lodged an appeal against that decision to the Swiss-based Court of Arbitration for Sport.
“We deserved to be champions of Africa on the pitch and we will try to do the same thing off it,” said Senegal captain Idrissa Gana Gueye on Friday.
Last week Everton midfielder Gueye, 36, said he was ready to “hand back the medals” to Morocco if it eases tension between the two countries.
Gueye was also part of the Senegal team which won the Cup of Nations title for the first time at the 2022 edition in Cameroon.
“Nothing can replace the emotions that we have experienced,” Gueye added on Friday, pointing out that his team have won two titles in the last three editions of AFCON, having also reached the 2019 final which they lost to Algeria.
“We didn’t steal those results. A whole country put in the work, a nation which gives everything on the field and off it.”
Source Punch Ng
Posted March 28, 2026
You may also like...
Iheanacho beats Victor Moses, Mikel to award
Sevilla sack Vincenzo Montella, name Joaquin Caparro as...
Ighalo Helps Shanghai Shenhua to Win on Debut...
NFF Confirm Return of Salisu Yusuf after One-Year...
Chelsea Youth To Face Bayern Amid Injury Crisis...
Chelsea pledge action after anti-Semitic chants

Joshua, Fury in contract stalemate
Agunbiade emerges Nigeria’s lone survivor at WTT Lagos
Nigeria call-up boosted my confidence – Alebiosu
First Eagles invite thrills Rangers’ Oputa
270 athletes begin journey to stardom in Edo
Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double
2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off
Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,789 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,112 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,069 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,636 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,550 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,454 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,846 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,034 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,529 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,958 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,405 views)