By Daily Sports Nigeria on February 19, 2026
Kwara United F.C. has distanced itself from the crowd disturbance that followed its Nigeria Premier Football League Gameweek 22 fixture against Rivers United F.C. in Ilorin, describing the development as deeply troubling.
The rescheduled encounter, played at the Rashidi Yekini Main Bowl of the George Agbazika Innih Stadium, ended in a 1–1 stalemate.
However, the result was overshadowed by chaos that reportedly broke out moments after the referee signalled full time.
In a statement released on Wednesday and sighted by The PUNCH in Ilorin, the club expressed strong displeasure over the incident, particularly reports that Chief Okey Kpalukwu, the Chairman of Chairmen in the Nigeria Premier Football League, was targeted during the unrest.
The management said it viewed the development with “serious concern and regret,” stressing that the conduct of those involved was inconsistent with the ethos of the club.
“We are deeply disturbed by the events that occurred after the match and unequivocally denounce every act of violence recorded,” the statement read.
Kwara United maintained that discipline, fairness and respect for officials and opponents remain fundamental principles that must guide football engagements.
“Respect for match officials, administrators, visiting teams and fellow supporters is non-negotiable. Football must be played and enjoyed in the spirit of sportsmanship,” the club added.
While acknowledging the passion of its fan base, the management insisted that the actions of a few individuals should not define the broader supporter community known for peaceful conduct.
“The behaviour exhibited by certain persons does not reflect the identity or values of our loyal supporters,” it stated.
The club extended apologies to Chief Kpalukwu, the Rivers United delegation, match officials, security agencies and spectators who may have been affected by the disturbance.
“We sincerely apologise to all parties impacted by the incident and regret the discomfort and harm it may have caused,” the statement noted.
Kwara United further pledged to collaborate with security agencies and league authorities to ensure that those responsible are identified and sanctioned in line with existing regulations.
“We will cooperate fully with relevant authorities to investigate the matter and ensure accountability,” the club assured.
“We call on our fans to remain composed and united as we strengthen sensitisation and re-orientation programmes to foster a safe and welcoming football environment,” it said.
Reaffirming its dedication to fair play, the club emphasised its commitment to safeguarding the integrity of the Nigeria Premier Football League and maintaining Ilorin as a secure host city for topflight matches.
Incidents of crowd violence have remained a recurring concern in the domestic league.
Earlier this season, supporters of Kano Pillars F.C. reportedly attacked players and officials of Shooting Stars Sports Club after a tense encounter at the Sani Abacha Stadium in Kano.
The match, which also ended in a draw, degenerated into chaos as irate fans invaded the pitch, prompting security intervention.
The Nigeria Premier Football League subsequently imposed sanctions on the host club as part of efforts to deter further acts of hooliganism and restore order at match centres across the country.
Source Punch Ng
Posted February 19, 2026
You may also like...
Liverpool Beat Arsenal 4-0 To Move 2nd In...
Redemption for tearful Ronaldo at 'last Euros'
UEFA vows to be tough on clubs in...
Guardiola Says Man City Are Not Ready For...
I Won’t Coach Another African Team — Herve...
Chelsea should use FA Cup as route into...

NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off
Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff
Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney
Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies
Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot
Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory
Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest
W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,567 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,873 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,786 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,421 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,256 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,124 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,671 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,842 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,371 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,761 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,232 views)