By Daily Sports Nigeria on February 17, 2026
World football governing body FIFA is yet to deliver its verdict on the petition submitted by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), alleging that DR Congo fielded ineligible players during last November’s 2026 World Cup African play-offs, The PUNCH reports.
Nigerians were kept on edge on Monday in anticipation of the ruling, as the intercontinental play-offs are scheduled to take place from March 26 to 31 in Mexico.
The Super Eagles missed out on automatic qualification during the qualifying series last year but advanced to the African play-offs, where they were eventually beaten by DR Congo on penalties.
Several unconfirmed reports circulated on Monday regarding the team’s fate, but NFF President Ibrahim Gusau said the federation was still awaiting communication from FIFA.
“We are still waiting to hear from FIFA. We are hopeful, by the grace of God,” Gusau said.
DR Congo have been drawn to face the winner of the tie between New Caledonia and Jamaica for a chance to secure one of the two available World Cup slots.
As the play-offs approach, a verdict from FIFA is expected soon, with the NFF maintaining confidence in its case.
“We believe that we have a chance; that is why we petitioned. If we knew we didn’t have a chance, we wouldn’t have petitioned. That is our submission — it is now left to FIFA to decide,” the NFF General Secretary, Dr Mohammed Sanusi, told The PUNCH.
Nigeria’s protest is based on the alleged improper switch of nationality by some DR Congo players.
According to FIFA statutes, a player may request to change the association they are eligible to represent only once. The process requires a written and substantiated application, carried out in line with domestic regulations and approved by FIFA’s Players’ Status Committee.
FIFA regulations require a player to hold a passport of the new country they wish to represent — even if they also possess another nationality. However, Congolese law does not permit dual nationality, a point believed to be central to Nigeria’s complaint.
Like the NFF, there remains a sense of hope among the players.
“We’re still waiting — hopefully we can go to the World Cup,” midfielder Alex Iwobi said recently.
Meanwhile, Chairman of the National Sports Commission, Shehu Dikko, suggested that the final recourse for either Nigeria or DR Congo could be the Court of Arbitration for Sport after FIFA delivers its decision.
“It requires a lot of things, and by the time it is finally decided, whether Nigeria wins or DR Congo wins, I believe the case might even go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport,” Dikko said in Morocco last month.
“For us, we are waiting to see how it goes. All I know is that FIFA is still handling the petition,” he added.
The 2026 World Cup will be held from June 11 to July 19 across 16 cities in the three host countries.
Source Punch Ng
Posted February 17, 2026
You may also like...
Lookman agrees Inter move
FC Ifeanyi Ubah’ll not appeal LMC’s N9.1m fine...
Covid-19: Henderson Out Of Manchester United Training Camp...
Chelle List Requirements For New Players To Be...
Martinez Rejects Arsenal Contract Offer; Wants Aston Villa...
Ex-Minister Bio backs Amaju’s CAF executive membership bid...

PRIESTLY ORDINATION
W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict
Athletes protest as Ogun award N474m for NSF medallists
Eagles to face Jordan in March friendly
Senegal coach hails Falconets strength in W’Cup qualifier defeat
Chelle eyes foreign Eagles to strengthen Nigerian team
Nobody'll Stop Me From Contesting 2027 Election, Obi Vows -Even If It Holds in Their Bedroom -Assures Youths Of Accountability In Governance
FIFA Monday meeting to determine Eagles’ World Cup fate
Adesanya keen to prove GOAT status
Davis Cup: Ochei sparks Nigeria’s tennis revival
56 grassroots clubs battle for Taiwo Afolabi Cup
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,560 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,867 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,779 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,418 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,332 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,251 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,120 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,668 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,837 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,368 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,760 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,227 views)