Athletes protest as Ogun award N474m for NSF medallists
By Daily Sports Nigeria on February 17, 2026
Athletes and other officials representing Ogun State descended into protest on Monday as the state government disbursed N474m in rewards for performances at the Gateway Games 2024, bringing to a close months of agitation over unpaid prize money, The PUNCH reports.
The ceremony, held in Abeokuta, was meant to celebrate Team Ogun’s second-place finish on the medals table, where the state secured 93 gold, 65 silver and 81 bronze medals, totalling 239.
During the festival, Governor Dapo Abiodun had publicly pledged N2.5m for each gold medallist, N1.5m for silver, N1m for bronze and N50,000 for every participating athlete.
For months after the event, competitors complained that the promises had not been honoured.
Based on the medal haul, the initial pledge translated to N232.5m for gold medallists, N97.5m for silver winners and N81m for bronze recipients, amounting to about N411m in prize money, excluding participation allowances.
The government eventually released the funds 263 days after the festival, paying what officials described as over N450m to athletes, alongside N10m for coaches and N14.8m for other officials for a total of N474.8.
In a speech delivered on his behalf by the Head of Service, Kehinde Onasanya, Governor Abiodun said the ceremony marked the fulfilment of commitments made during an unscheduled visit to the team’s camp.
He said all allowances and contractual obligations had been settled and that additional incentives had been approved to reward excellence.
“Today marks yet another historic milestone as we fulfil our second promise by presenting cash rewards exceeding four hundred and fifty million naira to our deserving athletes,” he said.
“Each of the 93 gold medalists will receive N2.5m; 61 silver medalists will receive N1.5m; and 81 bronze medalists will receive N1m each.”
He oversaw the presentation of a cheque of N10m presented to the Director of Coaching for distribution among coaches, while N14.8m went to the Director of Administration and Supply for other participating officials.
However, the presentation was disrupted when Ogun’s handball representative, Amoke Ayelokun, led her teammates in rejecting the N4m allocated to both the male and female handball teams combined.
The protest began on stage during the medal presentation and later spilled outside the June 12 Cultural Centre, where athletes confronted the state Commissioner for Sports, Wasiu Isiaka.
The confrontation escalated into a heated exchange, with athletes accusing the government of unfairness and alleging that other team sports received more favourable treatment.
Handball players argued that while they were awarded N4m collectively, the football team received N5m despite winning only the men’s title.
The commissioner was forced to withdraw from the scene as tensions rose and the situation nearly turned physical.
Badminton players also expressed dissatisfaction. The team was expected to share N7.5m, in addition to the individual recognition for Dorcas Adesokan, who won three gold medals at the Gateway Games 2024, claiming the women’s singles title and leading the state to gold in both the women’s team event and women’s doubles.
The coaches rejected the N10m allocated to them, with one questioning how 249 coaches were expected to share the amount.
Despite the unrest, the team captain and Paralympic bronze medallist, Isau Ogunkunle, defended the governor’s action, saying the administration had ultimately fulfilled its word.
“As far as Ogun State is concerned, all athletes involved are very happy because our Governor is a successful person he made a promise to us and kept the promise we are all very happy and this will serve as a great motivation for all of us in another festival and we will always be eager to represent the state,” he told The PUNCH.
“As for me personally, I will always stay true to the state, this is where I live and eat and, I am representing the state internationally and locally and that is where I live.”
Asked about the grievances raised by some team sports athletes, he acknowledged prior discussions over the distribution formula.
“It is the team game that is trying to show their grievances. We have tried to discuss it before, but if we look at it truly as the money they gave them and they claim when they share the money, it won’t amount to anything. We discussed with our bosses to help amend it,” he added.
While the state government insists it has gone beyond its original pledge, the unrest underscores lingering dissatisfaction among sections of the contingent over how the rewards were structured and shared.
Source Punch Ng
Posted February 17, 2026
You may also like...

Chapecoense to sign 20 new players for next...

Nigeria U-17 dismiss Queens football League in friendly...

Manchester United Confirm Sancho Signing

Southampton sack manager, Russell Martin, after 5-0 hammering...

Ighalo, Fernandes Will Be Crucial In Today’s Manchester...

Arsenal On Track To Become Powerhouse Under Arteta,...