Nigeria’s World Cup dream alive as DR Congo face player eligibility probe

By Daily Sports Nigeria on December 16, 2025

The Nigeria Football Federation has confirmed that it has initiated a probe into DR Congo’s use of ineligible players during the 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, a development that could reopen Nigeria’s path to the tournament in the United States, Canada, and Mexico, PUNCH Online reports.

DR Congo eliminated Nigeria from the African play-offs in November after a 4–3 penalty shoot-out victory in Morocco, a result that ended the Super Eagles’ hopes of progressing to the FIFA intercontinental play-off.

The Congolese side has since been handed a bye into the final of the intercontinental play-off tournament, where they are scheduled to face the winner of the semi-final between New Caledonia and Jamaica.

However, their participation at that stage could now be in doubt following concerns raised by the NFF over the eligibility of several DR Congo players fielded during the African play-offs.

Reports suggest that between six and nine DR Congo players who switched national allegiance may not have fully complied with the eligibility requirements under Congolese law before representing the country.

While FIFA reportedly cleared the players on the basis that they possessed valid DR Congo passports, it is alleged that they failed to formally renounce their previous citizenships, contrary to the Central African nation’s constitution, which does not permit dual nationality.

“NFF has done the needful,” a member of the federation’s executive board told PUNCH Online.

“Their constitution does not allow dual citizenship, and about six to nine players had that status during the play-off. That is the loophole we are exploring. Our lawyers must have submitted the relevant documents to FIFA as well.”

NFF General Secretary, Dr Mohammed Sanusi, also confirmed that the NFF has faulted the players’ switch.

“We’re waiting. The Congolese rules say you cannot have dual citizenship or nationality,” Sanusi said. “Wan-Bissaka has a European passport; some of them have French passports, others Dutch passports. The rules are very clear, and we have submitted our petition.

“FIFA rules say once you have a passport of your country, you’re eligible, and that is why they were cleared,” Sanusi explained. “But our concern is that FIFA was deceived into clearing them. It is not FIFA’s responsibility to enforce Congo’s domestic regulations; FIFA acts based on what is submitted to it. What we are saying is that the process was fraudulent.”

The development has boosted Nigeria’s hope of qualifying for the 2026 World Cup. The country had been condemned to missing back-to-back World Cups after failing to qualify for the 2022 edition in Qatar as well.

DR Congo, meanwhile, has appeared at the FIFA World Cup on one occasion in 1974 when they were known as Zaire.

 

Source Punch Ng

Posted December 16, 2025


 

You may also like...
Arsenal's Mosquera could be out for at least...

Nigerian forward, Tolu Arokodare faces online racism after...

Mourinho Admits He Was In The Wrong Over...

Lagos SWAN announces date for Winners Golden Bet...

Nigeria Vs Tunisia: Fans Blame Okoye For Eagles...

Akwa United bounce back to see off Banjul...

 

Latest News Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos Akwa governor almost stopped Uyo pitch maintenance – Gusau

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,785 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,104 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,056 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,627 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,544 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,445 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,842 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,028 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,526 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,953 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,400 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media