Trafford rejoins Man City for 'British record fee'

By Daily Sports Nigeria on July 30, 2025

Goalkeeper James Trafford has rejoined Manchester City from Burnley in a deal which the Clarets say is a new record fee for a British goalkeeper.

City sources say the move is worth £27m plus add-ons.

However, Burnley sources put the figure at £31m plus add-ons and a sell-on clause.

That would take the deal above the previous record of £30m which Everton paid Sunderland for Jordan Pickford in 2017.

City academy graduate Trafford, 22, signed for the Clarets for up to £19m in July 2023.

He impressed last season as Scott Parker's side won promotion back to the Premier League - keeping 29 clean sheets across 45 Championship games - and was named in the division's team of the year.

Announcing his departure, Burnley said "the move to City is a record transfer fee for a British goalkeeper and a club record sale".

City had a buy-back clause for Trafford and also matching rights, allowing them to equal any offer from another club.

They moved for the player following a £27m bid from Newcastle - and Trafford opted for a return to Manchester.

He has signed a five-year contract with the option for another year at Etihad Stadium, and will wear the number one shirt.

"Rejoining City is such a special and proud moment both for me and my family," Trafford said, adding that he was returning to the club "a hundred times better" than the player who left in 2023.

"I always dreamed that one day I would be able to come back to Manchester City.

"This is the place I call home - it's a truly special football club.

"I am still very young and hungry to keep learning and improving - and I know there is no better environment than Manchester City to help make me become the best goalkeeper I can be."

Director of football Hugo Viana added: "James is already one of the most accomplished young goalkeepers in the English game, and we are delighted to welcome him back to Manchester City.

"He has all the attributes a top-class goalkeeper requires.

"We fully believe he will be really successful and a top goalkeeper for Manchester City and the [England] national team."

Trafford is the fourth goalkeeper at manager Pep Guardiola's disposal, with Ederson, Stefan Ortega and Marcus Bettinelli already at the club.

Trafford will challenge Brazil's Ederson, who has been first choice for eight years, for the number one spot.

Ederson is in the final year of his contract and has been linked with a move to Galatasaray, but last month described rumours of a departure as "99% fake news".

City have not received any bids for the 31-year-old, but there are doubts about the future of German Ortega given the increased competition for game time Trafford's arrival will bring.

Trafford signed for City's academy in 2015 but did not make a first-team appearance and spent time on loan at Accrington Stanley and Bolton Wanderers.

He made 73 appearances for Burnley, including 28 in the Premier League in the 2023-24 season.

Trafford has represented England from under-17 to under-21 level, and was part of the winning European Championship squad of 2023, during which he did not concede a goal.

He received his first senior international call-up in 2024 but has yet to make his debut at that level.

Trafford is City's sixth signing of the window after midfielders Tijjani Reijnders (initial fee of £46.5m), Rayan Cherki (initial fee of £30.5m) and Sverre Nypan (£12.5m); left-back Rayan Ait-Nouri (£31m) and Bettinelli (nominal fee).

They also spent £200m in the January transfer window to boost their squad following significant injuries.

Source BBC Sports

Posted July 30, 2025


 

You may also like...
Lobi, Rangers advance in continental soccer campaigns

SWAN President applauds FIFA President’s visit to Nigeria...

Super Eagles Coach drops assistant Salisu over ‘bribery...

Bolaji Ojo-Oba’s revelations: Where are Buhari’s anti-graft agencies?...

Ivory Coast Part Ways With Head Coach Kamara...

Haaland Scores And Gets Injured In Dortmund's Away...

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,319 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,489 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,473 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,074 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,058 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,056 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,873 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,419 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,530 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,133 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,571 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,993 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media