By Daily Sports on August 8, 2016
Russian athletes have been banned from competing at the Rio 2016 Paralympics following the country's doping scandal.
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) had opened suspension proceedings following the McLaren report, and has now confirmed the ban.
That report, published last month, detailed a state-sponsored doping programme operated by Russia.
The Russian Paralympic Committee will reportedly appeal against the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
In contrast to the IPC, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) chose not to hand Russia a blanket ban from the Olympic Games.
The Rio 2016 Paralympics begin in 31 days' time, on 7 September, and 267 Russian athletes across 18 sports will now miss the Games.
"The anti-doping system in Russia is broken, corrupted and entirely compromised," said IPC president Sir Philip Craven at a news conference on Sunday.
"The Russian Paralympic Committee are unable to ensure compliance with and enforcement of the IPC anti-doping code and the world anti-doping code within their own national jurisdiction and they can not fulfil its fundamental obligation as an IPC member.
"As a result, the Russian Paralympic Committee is suspended with immediate effect."
He added: "Tragically this situation is not about athletes cheating a system, but about a state-run system that is cheating the athletes. The doping culture that is polluting Russian sport stems from the Russian government.
"The Russian government has catastrophically failed its para-athletes. Their 'medals over morals' mentality disgusts me. The complete corruption of the anti-doping system is contrary to the rules and strikes at the very heart of the spirit of Paralympic sport.
"It shows a blatant disregard for the health and wellbeing of athletes and, quite simply, has no place in Paralympic sport. Their thirst for glory at all costs has severely damaged the integrity and image of all sport, and has certainly resulted in a devastating outcome for the Russian Paralympic Committee and para-athletes."
•Text gotten from bbc.com
Source Daily Sports
Posted August 8, 2016
You may also like...
D’Tigers pick 2025 AfroBasket ticket
2,000 students to compete for glory in Anambra...
ABS, Akwa set pace among NPFL U15s
Chelsea's Moses can rise to Messi's level, says...
Lobi Target Return To Continental Action
Rivers Angels to stay at NWFL summit: Head...

Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale
NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege
FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off
Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials
Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen
Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket
LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos
Akwa governor almost stopped Uyo pitch maintenance – Gusau
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,785 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,104 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,054 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,627 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,544 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,445 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,842 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,028 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,526 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,953 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,400 views)