Brazil held to goalless draw

By Daily Sports Nigeria on June 25, 2024

Brazil began their Copa America campaign with a disappointing goalless draw against Costa Rica in Los Angeles.

The nine-time winners had 74% of possession and 19 shots but could not break through in their Group D opener.

Marquinhos had the ball in the net in the 30th minute after he tapped in at the back post following a Raphinha free-kick but the Video Assistant Referee ruled it out for offside.

Brazil boss Dorival Jr brought youngsters Endrick, who has signed for Real Madrid, and Savio off the bench but they could not find a winner.

Lucas Paqueta hit the woodwork just after the hour mark and spurned two late chances from good positions at the SoFi Stadium in Hollywood Park.

The West Ham United midfielder acknowledged his side must improve when they play Paraguay on Saturday (02:00 BST).

"We played a great game, we fought until the end, I had three chances myself, we were frustrated not to win, but we leave with confidence," Paqueta said.

"We played our game, we have to improve our finishing, myself in particular, so that we can win."

Costa Rica coach Gustavo Alfaro made a film analogy to emphasise how much his side had been written off before the match had started.

"We were Bruce Willis in 'The Sixth Sense', where the only one that did not know he was dead was him, right?" he said.

"Well, everyone thought we were dead before the movie started in our case."

Source BBC Sports

Posted June 25, 2024


 

You may also like...
Benatia Questions Guardiola’s Man-Management Skills

Aribo Hands Nigeria Boost Ahead Of Brazil Clash...

Neymar Ready To Sign New PSG Contract

Liverpool Finish Second Despite Victory over Wolves

Rangers, Enyimba, Pillars, six other clubs go Plc...

Wolves Striker Jimenez Has Surgery On Fractured Skull...

 

Latest News WAFCON: Ajibade insists Falcons gave everything Dolphins begin WBPL title defence with 59-46 win Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure Agege LG boss kicks off 2026 Obasa Summer Games Super Falcons miss first Women’s World Cup after 2-1 S’Africa loss Joshua, Fury fight hits stumbling block Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,030 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,388 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,277 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,877 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,756 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,632 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,526 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,036 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,246 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,717 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,205 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media