By Daily Sports Nigeria on September 29, 2023
Oliseh urges striker to quit Italian champions
Minister of Sports Development, John Enoh, says he is saddened by the recent event surrounding Super Eagles striker, Victor Osimhen, after a video mocking the Nigerian surfaced on Napoli’s official TikTok handle.
The minister made this known in a statement on his official X handle on Thursday.
Osimhen, who was the club’s top scorer last season as the Parthenopeans won the Scudetto after three decades, became a subject of mockery after missing the penalty that denied Napoli a chance to win all three points against Bologna on Sunday.
The player also got involved in an argument with Napoli coach Rudi Garcia as he walked away to the bench after he was substituted a few minutes after the penalty miss.
Osimhen has since sent his apologies to the coach and his teammates over his action but on Tuesday, the official TikTok of the team, which had earlier posted a video referring to Osimhen as a coconut head, posted another video trolling the Nigerian for missing the penalty against Bologna.
The Nigerian’s agent Roberto Calenda also threatened to take legal action against Napoli for the disparaging video.
Osimhen has also pulled down all images related to Napoli from his Instagram page in what seemed to be a response to Napoli over the video and the striker was seen subbing his teammates while arriving at the team’s hotel ahead of their game against Udinese on Wednesday.
In the wake of the event, Enoh in a statement tagged ‘a rally for Victor Osimhen and all Nigerian athletes’ said he was saddened by the event.
“Over the past weekend, the news coming out of Napoli concerning Super Eagles player — Victor Osimhen saddened me greatly. The travails of Tobi Amusan have been no less so — the reason I made efforts to reach her directly last week.
“My office is trying to reach Victor Osimhen directly as well to understand first-hand the issues. We are committed to establishing the facts of the matter.”
He added, “Meanwhile, I am in touch with the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Maitama Tuggar, and the Nigerian Ambassador to the Republic of Italy, Ambassador Mfawa Abam.
“Together, we are employing diplomatic avenues with Italy for a more proper approach to looking into the matter as it is.
“Under the present administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, we are committed to ensuring our sportsmen and women are accorded the respect they deserve and are not exposed to any injustice.
“Upon assumption of office, I made it abundantly clear, in words and deeds, that the welfare of our athletes, be they home-based or international-based, would be our topmost priority as we create the environment that enables and ensures their continued success.”
Also, while reacting to Osimhen’s decision to delete pictures of himself in a Napoli shirt on Instagram and demanding an apology from the club, former Eagles captain and coach, Sunday Oliseh, suggested Osimhen quit the Italian champions.
“Forever proud to be Nigerian,” Oliseh wrote on X.
“One must show personality, work hard and refuse to be intimidated. Let racists and ingrates talk. That’s why they are eternal losers who secretly wish they were created like you! Osimhen needs to leave Napoli as soon as yesterday.”
Source Punch Ng
Posted September 29, 2023
You may also like...
Wenger set for PSG and Monaco talks
CAF elections: COSAFA endorses Ahmad as presidential candidate...
Bet9ja football tournament:Benin Warriors, BJ Foundation match on...
NPFL Bounces Back Today After Nine Months Break...
Djokovic Wins 2021 French Open, Claims 19th Grand...
Oshoala Leads Super Falcons’ Training Ahead 2020 Tokyo...

Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal
I’m going to school Paul – Joshua
EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown
Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,186 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,923 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,507 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,633 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)